F1 Games

What is the best Xbox steering wheel?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    monkzie
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have decided to purchase F1 2011 for the xBox, and have read that using a steering wheel greatly enhances the experience. A quick Internet search has shown that there is a huge choice of models with a very wide range of price.

Would you mind telling me what you use, and what you think is the best steering wheel re: overall feel, value for money, wireless capabilities, etc?

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the best reviewed wheels for its price was the Microsoft Wireless wheel with force feedback. I had a go on this wheel and it was great and you could really “feel” the car underneath you losing grip etc. I use a logitech and it’s around the same price of £85. It’s definitely worth getting a wheel for F1 as it’s so much more fun and I find it easier.

As for what’s on the market it’s fairly limited for under £100. If you want to pay more you can get fanatec ones for ridiculous prices and they are probably the best out there.

GAME said to me that they will be getting new wheels in to tie in with F1 2011 and Forza 4 but nothing has shown up in the GAME’s I’ve been to.

Anonymous
    Inactive

As far as I am aware with the Xbox 360, you are limited to basically two types of wheel. The official Xbox360 Wireless Racing Wheel, which I have, or certain wheels by a company called Fanatec – fanatec.de

In my opinion the Microsoft wheel is somewhat affordable, whereas the Fanatec wheels are quite expensive. I’ve never used a Fanatec wheel; I tried to buy one last year, but living in Australia that insisted that I had to buy through a local distributor, who coincidently wanted to charge me about double the price of what Fanatec sell the wheel directly to Europeans and Americans for. Needless to say I didn’t buy the wheel. I find the Microsoft wheel offers a good enough experience.

From reviews and what not it seems the main advantage of the Fanatec wheels are that some models are compatible with Xbox, PS3 and PC, and the pedals are lot better, and include a clutch.

BenH
    Participant

Are there any cheaper wheels with a clutch for xbox? I have tried google but cant find anything really and dont fancy forking out so much for a wheel when you can get one with clutch for ps3 for around the 60-70 quid mark. Really want a wheel soon though as Im sick of being stuck with TC on with my games as you just cant get a feel for the car with the controller!

Lin1876
    Participant

I use the official Xbox 360 wheel and have no complaints. It’s a shame that Microsoft discontinued it (the Kinect replacement is rubbish beyond words), and it’s well worth buying if you can find it (although I wouldn’t pay more than £70 or so).

I don’t know how nicely the 360 plays with other wheels, but the various Logitech wheels are reportedly excellent. If you can afford them, the G25 or G27 are worthwhile (I think they have a clutch, too, but wouldn’t swear to that).

The best advice I can give is to shop around. When you buy a car, or a computer, or a games console, you compare the various models. The same applies here.

PieLighter
    Participant

I have a G27. It has a clutch, awesome stainless steel (or aluminium?) pedals and flappy paddles, with a 6-speed gear stick and 900 degrees lock to lock (this can be adjusted using the PC software). Proper hand-stitched leather around the rim of the wheel. Beautiful piece of kit, left a £200 hole in my pocket.
    Only use it for rFactor.

SouthPawRacer
    Participant

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to use a G25 or G27 on an Xbox without an adapter.

Lin1876
    Participant

@SouthPawRacer Are you sure? As far as I’m aware, the G25/G27 connect via USB, so there’s no technical reason why you can’t just plug them in. Of course, the 360 might kick and scream about you doing this, but then how would an adaptor help.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just not convinced you’re right.

edit: A quick google search has just proved you absolutely correct. Not too sure about the adaptor though. I can’t find a price or manufacturer, so I’d really double check before you buy, and don’t spend too much.

SouthPawRacer
    Participant

@lin1876 The only adapter I know of is made by XCM, and it’s a fairly hefty price – $84.90 US!

MuzzleFlash
    Participant

@PieLighter said 1 day, 8 hours ago:

I have a G27. It has a clutch, awesome stainless steel (or aluminium?) pedals and flappy paddles, with a 6-speed gear stick and 900 degrees lock to lock (this can be adjusted using the PC software). Proper hand-stitched leather around the rim of the wheel. Beautiful piece of kit, left a £200 hole in my pocket.
    Only use it for rFactor.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8600/

This was made specifically with the G25/27 in mind, for £4 you can’t go wrong and there’s a free Demo to try before you buy. Bought this two years ago along with RBR and haven’t played another racing game since.

On topic: I thought Microsoft only allowed offical peripherals on the Xbox?

Lin1876
    Participant

@MuzzleFlash You’re half-right. Microsoft have a licensing programme which allows third parties to create accessories for the console, but they’re not keen on unofficial, unlicensed accessories. As such, there are unofficial controllers and unofficial wheels which work with the 360, but they’ve all been licensed. Unfortunately, the G25/G27 don’t have any such license, so are not (officially) supported, except with the pricey $85 adaptor.

It’s annoying, as there are some great exclusives on the 360 but no really hardcore wheel to use with them, good as the official wheel is/was. It means that F1 fans with a 360 who want to use their G27 have to fork out for a substantial PC upgrade or a PS3, which sucks.

Bendanarama
    Participant

To be honest, I’ve found buying a wheel depends on how hardcore you are – I’m not especially, and the Microcon wheel from Argos was 40 quid. It’s very durable (I actually fell on mine and came off worse) and it’s fairly nice and easy to use.

Lin1876
    Participant

I just stumbled across this on YouTube, and it seems to be a fairly extensive round-up of Xbox 360 wheels, if that helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZXIqe8Psg&feature=player_embedded

BenH
    Participant

Its looking pretty dire for xbox then by the looks of a cheap option for a wheel. About the best I’ve seen is the old xbox wheel, although still no clutch. That video in the last post kinda summed it up well. Their low end rig was $308 which is about £200 quid, and looking on the website, they actually don’t stock the cheaper pedals anymore either, so its more like £250 which is a bit much really. Can get to a couple of BTCC races for that price next year! Im starting to think I may end up going back to being a PC gamer soon as there are a lot more (and cheaper) options. Either that or get a PS3!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I managed to get the discontinued Xbox 360 wireless wheel for £30 off my mate who didn’t want it any more. It’s damn hard to use though, I’m all over the place on Forza 4. I’m looking forward to trying it out on iRacing when I renew my subscription.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.