F1 Games

iRacing Thread

This topic contains 406 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  PhilEReid 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 407 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

@ George – The website contradicts itself. The specs page says you must use a wheel, other pages say all you need is a gamepad, and the 360 controller is mentioned. Sure, I like Mario Kart, but I realise that’s nothing like what this is about.

@ Joey-Poey – It does sound interesting, and if I do take the plunge, I’ll probably end up spending a lot of time just practising or time trialling to get a feel for the thing. The website seems to say you can do that if you want. I realise it’s a spot-on simulation. I currently play Forza 3, and although I appreciate that the level of physics in that are good, they’re probably not entirely accurate as iRacing is seen to be, but that’s much more my cup of tea than something like Need for Speed. And if I’m going to spend money on an MMO game, I’d much rather it was something I like and progress in, rather than World of Warcraft, which is where that bit of my budget currently goes!

I like the fact that there are so many tracks of all different types, and more and more are being added, as well as the different types of cars.

Might buy a month to tril it, and then if I like it, grab that Grand Prix starter pack just before the offer runs out at the beginning of March.

One question I can’t find an answer to. Can you apply your own liveries to the cars? I have just as much fun in Forza 3 painting the cars as I do driving them.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

@ ajokay: You can use their set liveries and swap out colors. Within that I’ve seen a fair bit of variety. Everything from Marlboro Penske schemed Indy cars to classic Gulf orange and blue sports cars. That said, I *have* seen a site that offers the chance to come up with your own more custom paint jobs. I haven’t bothered to utilize it yet, though.

Truth be told, unless you’re a terrifically terrible driver, you’re probably going to progress, so I wouldn’t buy it and just sit there doing TT if you ask me. I was very timid about joining a race my first week with it and then my friend who also played just kept urging me to hop in one. After my first race, that was it.

As for the realism in the simulation, I’ve found it very much on par with Forza and that ilk. The only difference I’ve seen/heard is that the fastest laps tend to involve a bit more drifting than would be wise in real life for how fast the tires would go off. But they’re constantly working to improve the tire model as it’s the area where they admit is hardest to get perfectly right.

I think the best suggestion would be to snag the “buy one month get two free” deal if it’s still going. 3 months for the price of one for your first “trial” is a pretty sweet deal! Especially considering if you don’t like it, it still cost you the same as one trial month. I think if I or someone else refers you as well, it can give myself or you some kind of discount (actually… I know it will give me some credits. Wanna help a guy out? XD )

@ foocode: starting with the FW31 would be REALLY hard I’d imagine! Even the Star Mazda is a handful. Have you tried some of the lower series yet? The Miatas are very easy to drive, honestly. Pretty forgiving if you futz up.

Anonymous

@ Joey-Poey Yeah, i’d like it if there were a texture editor or something. Either way, it’s not the be-all and end-all. I’d TT and practise to start, before I jump into a race, I mean. I wouldn’t pay all that money just to not race.

Definately sounds good though, and I do want to give it a try. I’d be more than happy for you to recommend me if it gets you money off and whatnot.

foocode
    Participant

Got in to the mx-5s tonight and have a feel for them now. My best predicted lap is just under 1:46 at Laguna so now I just need to put a decent lap together! I average about 1:48 now. I really need to work on my consistency because silly little ‘off tracks’ are ruining my flyers and dropping my rating!

George
    Participant

Yeah Laguna Seca is a pain for incidents, I get about twice as many there as at Lime Rock – if you go off at Lime Rock you know about it though.

I’m not sure if they fixed it but last season the roadster was a lot faster than the cup, I took about a second off my time at Laguna Seca by switching cars. I found the key to that track is getting the corner before the corkscrew right, the rest of the track is pretty straightforward, but it’s easily half a second gone if you mess that one up.

Glad you’re enjoying it, I’m currently trying to learn mid-ohio without crashing too much (damn gradients).

@Ajo, go here: http://www.tradingpaints.com/ , I personally dont do skins but a friend of mine uses it

Joey-Poey
    Participant

yeah, I loathe Laguna in the Miata. As far as the rating goes, foo, you don’t hurt it when you’re just in practice. It’s only in qualifying, TT and races that the rating stuff counts. I tend to just rack up tons of laps for a while on new courses so that I can get the consistency down. What helps a lot is to go into practice so you’re around other drivers and do a full race distance. Just keep doing that and aim for clean laps over super fast ones. You’ll become more accustomed as time goes on and find it easier to run “perfect” races.

@ George: dude, Mid Ohio’s freakin’ tough to get fast laps on! It seems like all but two corners are blind. Feels like I’m constantly pussy-footing over crests so it doesn’t drift completely off into the grass.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Woo! Third place finish for me in the skips last night :D. Had a bobble in turn one on lap 2 (that I SOMEHOW manage to prevent from sliding all the way into the grass). Sent me back from 5th to 8th, then spend the next 6 laps clawing my way all the way up to third. Drove a completely clean race (no offs, no contact, no spins) the rest of the way for a solid podium.

Also, feel free to post your races in here guys. I like reading up on how people are doing, what series they’re competing in, etc.

@ Foo: what name are you under so I can friend you?

George
    Participant

Doing well on Mid Ohio, one 5th and one win (and broke 2k rating!). Somehow I managed to go from 1:38 dead to 1:37.6 during a race, still miles off an optimal time though.

Going to concentrate on touring cup races over the weekend I think, it sucks most of the races start >midnight for me :(.

T1 really got on my nerves until I worked out to brake early then feather throttle until the car gets planted. It’s a really hard track to back out of it if someone spins in front of you too, I got caught out on lap one in a race when I committed to t3 and everyone in front of me bunched up.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Man, I have yet to win one in the skip :/. I always seem to wind up in the heat with the one phenomenally fast guy who runs away with it.

Turn one is my Achilles heel, but yeah, I do the same about the approach. Enter slow, exit fast. It’s the only turn left that I have problems keeping out of trouble. Whenever I clip the grass on the outside, it’s goodnight because you spin off to the left and have absolutely no room to save it before the tire barrier.

Also, I’m floored at how you guys can get your times so low. My best is still a 1:38.3 and that was with one lap of fuel left in the tank.

Skett
    Participant

Gotta admit, this game sounds really fun. Unfortunately I don’t have a wheel anymore and I’m totally broke. Hopefully I’ll remember about it and give it a go in a month or two! It really is quite expensive though, so you guys really recommend it?

Stephen Jones
    Participant

it’s crazy rewarding! but ridiculously expensive. buy at your peril!

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Yeah, I hesitated about the price for a long time, but my friend kept insisting about how great it is for sim racing fans. I’m glad he convinced me, though. If you look at it this way: just take a sandwich to work instead of going out to eat for lunch twice a month (or once a month if you tend toward more expensive restaurants) and there’s your 12 bucks (or however much it translates to in pounds, etc). But ditto to what Steve has said.

Skett
    Participant

Ok cool. Now I just have to save up for a new wheel. What happened to all the reasonable midpriced ones! Now you either get cheap crap or you spend hundreds! Thats the reason you probably won’t see me on there for at least a couple months (unless I spot a bargain on ebay)

Joey-Poey
    Participant

I’d recommend a Logitech Momo. I got mine for $50 on ebay and a quick search shows you could probably still snag one for about the same. It’s been a very good “beginner’s” sim wheel. Force feedback and plenty of buttons that can be designated, but not so many that it’s overwhelming.

Just do NOT get the Thrustmaster Ferrari GT. I had one for all of 6 months and the shifting paddle snapped in the middle of a race. Cheap piece of garbage.

Polishboy808
    Participant

Anybody up for the next Williams race at Laguna?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 407 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.