F1 Games

The Ultimate Final Civil War Showdown Invasion Crisis Grudge Match Thing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

This is an idea that came up in the community gamertag thread. As much as we’d all like to race one another in F1 2011, we can’t – some of us, like that pain in the neck Prisoner Monkeys (stupid name) can only play on PC. But while we can’t race one another in person, we can (at the risk of getting all New Age-y) race one another in spirit. And so I present to you …

The Ultimate Final Civil War Showdown Invasion Crisis Grudge Match Thing

(We needed a name that was as memorable as it was badass, and “Collantine Cup” was already taken.)

F1 2011 contains a game mode called the “Proving Grounds”. These act like the famous licence tests in the Gran Turismo games: using a pre-set car and a pre-set setup, the player takes on a circuit with the intention of beating a certain lap time. The Ultimate Final Civil War Showdown Invasion Crisis Grudge Match Thing will work on the same principle: each week, contestants will use a set car on a set circuit in an attempt to record the fastest time. It’s not going to start straight away; rather, this thread is for expressions of interest, and to hammer out the rules.

I have two championships in mind: first, the Grudge Match, which will be based on one lap pace. Championship points will be awarded to the fastest driver (the exact scoring system will depend on the number of entrants). Secondly, we have the Showdown, which will be an aggregate time – all of your fastest times will be added together, and the fastest overall time will win. However, participation in the Showdown requires a certain level of commitment; if you miss a round, your overall time will be biased.

This will be a twelve-race series, and by the end of it, we will have driven all twelve of the cars. The winner of each week will get to select the next week’s car and circuit combinations, though once a car and circuit have been chosen, they cannot be used again. If we have already driven for Team Fernandes at Yas Marina, then neither car or circuit can be used again.

In order to encourage honesty, this will be a blind racing series. You will need to take a screenshot of your fastest lap time and send it to an e-mail address that I will set up purely for this competition. You may edit your name out of the image, but you will need to add your F1 Fanatic username (just do it in MS Paint) so that I know who you are. Any times that get posted in this thread will not be counted. And in the interests of keeping things fair, there are a few additional rules:

1) Each round of the competition will be open for one week, starting from midnight GMT. The provisional start date is October 2nd, 2011.

2) You may only use the car and circuit combinations specified by the winning driver.

3) You may only set the car up through the Quick Setup menu.

4) You may use traction control if you wish, though you should specify if you do (if we get a large split between TCS and non-TCS users, we may run separate championships for them).

5) You may not use any other driver aids such as the racing line (KERS and DRS are acceptable).

6) Your fastest lap should be recorded from the driver’s POV.

7) You will need to take a screenshot of your fastest lap time with your F1 Fanatic username clearly edited into it; this screenshot should be sent to an e-mail address (address TBA).

8) If there are any inconsistencies (such as an abnormally fast lap time), the adjudicator (me) may ask you to provide further evidence.

9) If you are competing in the Showdown (aggregate lap times) and you fail to submit a lap time, then the adjudicator (still me) will take the fastest lap time of the week and apply a time penalty of between ten and thirty seconds (the exact number is yet to be decided; I don’t want to shaft your championship because you missed one event, but nor do I want to give you a time penalty that means your lap time will be faster than someone else).

10) The adjudicator is very handsome and the final verdict rests with him.

So, for now, this thread is for expressions of interest. Please include your F1 Fanatic username, your gamertag, and which championships – the Grudge Match and the Showdown – that you wish to compete in. Feel free to discuss any rule changes that you think are necessary; if consensus is reached, they will be adopted.

The start dat for this competition will be one week after the Singapore Grand Prix – Sunday, October 2nd, 2011.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perhaps you should also segregate the players that use hand controllers/keyboards with the ones that use a wheel/pedal set up. The guys with wheel/pedal should not require any driver aids – surely that’s a good thing; so we can compare to the best of our ability the virtual laptimes with the real F1 guys.

Perhaps for the Showdown, if a player misses a round they automatically receive the slowest time + 1sec. Not sure whether that is a massive penalty to miss the round but surely it only encourages players to avoid missing any rounds.

Perhaps for the name we could use F1Fanatic F1 2011 Grudge Match and Showdown Cup.

Anyway, I’d be interested in both comps.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Perhaps for the Showdown, if a player misses a round they automatically receive the slowest time + 1sec. Not sure whether that is a massive penalty to miss the round but surely it only encourages players to avoid missing any rounds.

That’s a good idea. I was modelling things on DIRT 3 where all of the drivers who fail to complete the stage are given a stage time that is the winner’s time plus one minute. However, adding one or two seconds onto the slowest lap time is a good penalty. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that myself.

Enigma
    Participant

Ah, finally a PC championship here! I started playing F1 2010 a few days ago, I have a steering wheel and I’m very much interested in competing in the UFCWSICGM thing. I am interested in the one lap thing, not sure about the other one yet. A very good idea PM.

Though we’ll have to go by trust, since it’s pretty easy to photoshop these things I suppose…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Well, anyone who feels the need to cheat … has no life. Then again, I don’t think anyone on the forum would feel the need to do that. This championship will be blind, so people won’t actually know what times they need to beat in order to place, and any suspicious times will be challenged.

The “other thing”, the aggregate challenge, is basically just all of your fastest laps added together. You don’t have to do anything differently to the one-lap challenge. You just need to commit to it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder if you can extract replays of your laps from F1 2011 onto a memory stick or something… perhaps all game developers should start looking at that. Would be good to have video evidence that we can email around.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Surely any suspect photoshopped pictures would be rejected… otherwise it’ll end up being a photoshop competition rather than a racing one… now that would be sad.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Surely any suspect photoshopped pictures would be rejected…

They’ll certainly be challenged. I know the current lap record for Monaco on the PS3 is something like 1:10.184 – four seconds faster than the official lap record. But if F1 2011 is anything like DIRT 3, fastest laps will be added to the leaderboard. If someone submits a fast lap time that can’t be found on the leaderboard, then it’s obviously going to be thrown out and the person disqualified from the competition.

But I honestly think you’re making too much of an issue out of this.

Sounds great to me PM. Thank you for organising it. I’ll sign up to this for sure!

Magnificent Geoffrey | PS3 | MagnificentGeof | Wheel | No-TC | Grudge Match | Showdown

This’ll add a whole other element to the game this year. I loved to get into Time Trial on F1 2010 and just bang in lap after lap after lap. You get into a ‘zone’ and it’s strangely hypnotic. Can’t wait to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to shave mere tenths of a second off my laptimes.

One thing I am wondering is whether Proving Grounds will have a universal leaderboard in it already, so you’ll be able to see how your times compare to the world and your friends on whatever platform you’re playing on. I suppose we could use that as extra verification of laptimes.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I believe Codemasters have confirmed that there will be a global leaderboard. So you’ll be able to compare times with people on the same system as you, but maybe not the other consoles.

Anyway, naturally, I’m in:

Prisoner Monkeys | PC | PrisonerMonkeys | Controller | TBA | Grudge Match | Showdown

I also already know what the first round will be. The temptation was there to force everyone to use a Hispania at Valencia, but I’m not that cruel. I think the combination will be something everyone will like.

I’m also hoping that the round winners will choose car, circuit and condition combinations that will challenge people. It might be nice to run a Red Bull at a circuit like Suzuka that demands high downforce to get a really quick lap time, but I’d like to see the opposite, too.

Lachie
    Participant

What exactly does this mean?

6) Your fastest lap should be recorded from the driver’s POV.

If it means we need to play it in the cockpit view then forget it. Otherwise aren’t we just sending screenshots not videos?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yes, the lap has to be done from the cockpit camera. However, I’m open to negotiations if people would prefer a different camera view; I know I myself would prefer the T-cam, but I know others don’t like it.

All the same, I think everyone should use the same camera. The idea behind this is having everyone running under identical conditions.

I always use cockpit cam, so it doesn’t bother me. I can’t quite understand why so many people don’t like it, personally. However, I know the vast majority of people like using either the T-Cam or the chase view, so I don’t have an issue with letting people drive using whatever view they want as long as all of the setups and other settings are standardised.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yes, setup will absolutely be standardised. It will probably be through the Quick Setup menu, which gives you three basic options – wet, dry and adaptable.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

This sounds brilliant, well up for it.

I do like the idea of having to do it from the driver POV, I prefer that myself. I tend to play the 2010 edition with no more aids than the drivers have in real life. So much more rewarding. I got into a trance around Sakhir when first getting used to it!

AndrewTanner | Xbox 360 | AndrewTanner87 | Pad | No-TC | Grudge Match | Showdown

I really like the Showdown idea, makes it like a rally then.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.