F1 Games

Which Racing Wheel Do People Prefer?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Macca
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking at purchasing a racing wheel for the PS4 and am unsure which one to go with. I was looking at either the Logitech G29 or Thrustmaster T150 and was wondering what everybody preferred.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

I haven’t used either so I can’t comment on first hand experience, but I think the G29 is considered the better option of those two. However if you step up to the Thrustmaster T300 then that’s a better wheel than the Logitech.

I’ve still got my trusty old Logitech G27, though it gets very little use these days!

Macca
    Participant

Hi @keithcollantine

This is a big decision for me for a lot of money so I want to get it right. If you could put this in tomorrows Daily Round Up t so as many people can see it as possible that would be really appreciated.

Tristan
    Participant

Hey there, did some digging around /r/simracing (a great subreddit for these kind of questions)

It seems the T150 is getting some good praise lately, if I had to choose between the two for value this would be my choice.

“It comes with the wheel and pedals, with the option to add a Thrustmaster shifter or upgrade to the nicer Thrustmaster pedals. 1080 degrees rotation and “hybrid” belt / gear drive.”

“Got this last week, so far so good. For my first FFB wheel, it has done well mounted on a Playseat Evolution. My only gripe is I find the wheel too small for rallying at 1080 degrees. It might be better for an open wheel sim where you can achieve lock to lock in 330 degrees.”

“The pedals leave a bit to be desired, but they get the job done. The wheel is awesome! I’ve been playing Project Cars and American Truck Simulator all day and its been a total joy on both games. I highly recommend it for those who are new and on a budget.”
    +3 months later
    “Its been great!
    I have yet to run into any issues with the wheel itself, though I feel I should warn you that if you’re on carpet, the pedals don’t have carpet spikes. So, you’ll need to have something weighty either behind them or holding down the front. Otherwise, they will tip backwards when you hit the brake pedal.
    As for getting a shifter, you can, but it’s expensive. The only one I know of that’s compatible is the TH8A.”

Latest opinions on the G29 while better than the t150 it’s a bit too pricey for what you get and it’s better to take the step up to the much much better t300.

Logitech have really lost a lot of good will after essentially pumping out the same products for over a decade now with just more buttons on the wheel but no actual engineering improvements (and most recently unbundling the shifter but keeping the same price).

Personally I’d look for a second hand G27 or G25 even which you can get working on a PS4 via Game Input MultipleXer software. I went for a second hand g25 myself only as of ~6 months ago (decided to get it again after having my previous one for many years) it took a bit of searching through second hand sites but could pick it up for less than $100.

Macca
    Participant

Thanks mate, that was some interesting reading.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

You could go for a G27. It does exactly what the G29 does pretty much. I have the latter as I was able to find it reduced by 40% and it is a lot of fun!

If you can find a G29 for a decent price then it might be worth going for. It’s a bit like the G27 but just a bit more refined.

It may also be worth looking at what games you have and seeing which wheels are compatible. If you play some older games, then newer wheels may not work so well.

JC Case
    Participant

Logitech DFGT
    SST Lightning H-shifter
    Fanatec Clubsport pedals

Right foot braking, left foot clutch, toe-healing
    And hence that, only driving classic F1 simulations

Macca
    Participant

Sounds great buts sounds expencive.

JC Case
    Participant

Well, everything is relative Macca :)

The Logi DFGT is an amazing wheel, but its pedals are a bit so-so. They do what they´re supposed to do and if you are a decent sim-racer, just wanna have some fun, they´re pretty ok. But if you´re competitive, their low resolution (0-255) will slow you down, or rather makes it harder for you to stay on the limit.

That shifter is hard to come by nowadays but if you can, I recommend it highly. Just make sure not to use a too heavy gear knob (like the original one for instance), as it makes the stick a bit “wobbly” (and wear it´s springs out). Buy or preferably make yourself a really light one instead. I made a “70-80´s style F1 knob” out of styroform and painted it black and it works great.

The pedals took some time to get used to, but once you do, they´re really nice. Especially the later models which has more adjustability.

Having said all that, it´s quite an investment and if you´re not really competitive, it´s prolly a bit “overkill”, especially if you´re not right foot braking/toe-healing. Well, everything is relative Macca :)

The Logi DFGT is an amazing wheel, but its pedals are a bit so-so. They do what they´re supposed to do and if you are a decent sim-racer just wanna have some fun, they´re pretty ok. But if you´re competitive, their low resolution (0-255) will slow you down, or rather makes it harder for you to stay on the limit.

That shifter is hard to come by nowadays but if you can, I recommend it highly. Just make sure not to use a too heavy gear knob (like the original one for instance), as it makes the stick a bit “wobbly” (and wear it´s springs out). Buy or preferably make yourself a really light one instead. I made a “70-80´s style F1 knob” out of styroform and painted it black and it works great.

The pedals took some time to get used to, but once you do, they´re really nice. Especially the later models which has more adjustability.

Having said all that, it´s quite an investment and if you´re not really competitive, it´s prolly a bit “overkill”, especially if you´re not right foot braking/toe-healing.

Cheers
    JC

JC Case
    Participant

lol, what happened there.. it came out X 2 :P
    Must have been NoScript that messed things up.. or just me..:D

Cheers
    JC

PorscheF1
    Participant

If anything I’d never buy a Thrustmaster, of all the 20 men that race in our Belgian cup, and several 100 others who I race internationally a whole lot have had various troubles with them whilst others stil enjoy their G27, and many the new G29.

George
    Participant

Logitechs are generally pretty reliable, yeah. I’m still using my old G25 (getting on for 10 years old now). The sensor on the sequential went a few years ago and the steering feels a bit loose but it’s still going.

From the newer generation Thrustmaster seem to have pulled ahead design-wise, although Logitech pedals are probably still superior to the basic Thrustmaster ones. I can’t speak for the reliability, but I haven’t heard as much bad about them as @xtwl , although it might have been drowned out by all the complaints about Fanatec :P.

If it’s your first wheel I think you’d be happy with either. If you could get the Thrustmaster with the upgraded pedals I would say that’s the best current budget option for competitive play.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.