F1

2014 weight limit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Roald
    Participant

Am I missing something here? First the whole thing with Hulkenberg being too heavy, now Symonds claiming it was a challenge to get the car to the minimum weight limit. Does this mean 2014 cars have no ballast onboard at all? The powertrain is heavier but I assume they could just take away some ballast, there was plenty the last few years wasn’t there?

MazdaChris
    Participant

No there’s no ballast in the cars. They’re struggling to get the cars down to the weight limit.

Roald
    Participant

Indecided to look it up.

Here lies the answer: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17643

He estimates a car weighs around 600 kilos in 2014, if he’s a bit off I can see why heavier drivers (the minimum weight limit includes the driver) would make it hard to stay within the weight limit of 690 kilos, especially because the estimations made in the link above are based on minimum weights.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

It’ll be 692kg for the new tyres being 500g over last years, but indeed they will have no ballast, so if the car handles badly the driver will just have to drive around it, and heavier drivers will have slower cars than lighter drivers (with no ballast to try and even it out the higher COG a bit). I don’t see why they didn’t make it 695kg. Looks like most teams will probably be near the weight limit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.