F1

"Aggressive" car designs?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Zadak

What are they?

Does anyone know what an aggressive car design is? They talk about it all the time in F1, perticulary at car launches. What makes it different to a “defensive” car design? is there such a thing as a “defensive” car design?

Enigma
    Participant

Aggressive cars are usually less reliable (Red Bull last year), and have some extreme solutions – Renault’s front exit exhaust, Red Bull’s tight KERS packaging, Williams’ thight rear end and gearbox.

Todfod
    Participant

Ferrari is a god example of a Defensive car design. They stuck it out with a conservative push rod suspension, and a chassis and front wing very similar to their previous challenger.

I guess aggressive designs are more revolutionary, while defensive designs are very evolutionary.

Icthyes
    Participant

“Untried and untested interpretations of the rules”, is how I would define the term.

Ell
    Participant

I nice aggresive car is the FW24 (correct me if im wrong) with the walrus nose. That failed. Miserably.

Fer no.65
    Participant

I’d not call the FW24 an aggresive car in terms of design. The walrus nose was the only thing very different to other teams and it was easy to switch back to the normal nose.

I think the term “aggresive” is like a “risky” approach. Like the 110º degree engine from the 2003 Renault, or the MP4/18.

cpfcfan
    Participant

@Ell I think the FW26 had the walrus nose

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.