F1

ARW DRS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Enigma
    Participant

Got me wondering, will it be harder this year to lose someone who is slower than you? Like in Hungary last year, Webber had to pull a gap (ok it was his team mate so he would let him do that). Would it now be possible to pull a gap over someone slightly slower, if they’re getting the extra boost on the straights? If you’re half a second a lap faster than someone, you should get 5 seconds of gap in 10 laps. Will it even be possible now, as they’ll get the boost on every lap?

Ned Flanders
    Participant

That was a very complicated title you came up with there BB! I don’t imagine it’ll make taht much difference- as soon as one driver pulls over a second away from the driver behind they can’t use the wing. So all the leading driver has to do is pull out a one second gap, which if you’ve got a half decent car shouldn’t be too difficult. (Or have I misinterpreted the question??)

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Well I guess it would be down to the application of KERS, which is the same for every driver and purely down to where you are on the track and times between you and the guy in front.

Enigma
    Participant

I’m sure they’ll be able to pull off a gap against much slower cars, but I’m worried about someone being slightly faster…like I said, half a second a lap may not be enough, as ARW is supposed to give you a chance of making up a full second!

What I mean is that if we had ARW last year I doubt Webber would be able to get any gap to Vettel (supposing there are any straights in Monaco!).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

How is that a bad thing if drivers have to battle each other like that? When you’re playing a defensive game, you naturally lap slower because you have to go off-line to block the driver behind. This will bunch the field up. I don’t think we’re going to see races where 24 cars are all in touch with one another from start to finish, but nor to I think we’ll see races where cars are finishing thirty seconds ahead of each other.

Todfod
    Participant

Gotta agree with Ned. Once the car in front has pulled a second or two gap, it will just cruise ahead. I’m not sure if ARW can give you a whole second either, it can only be used for 600m on a straight, and at the most it can make up for a few tenths. I think ARW is really going to come in to play when the chasing car is slightly quicker than the car in front. But I guess we just gotta wait and see what happends in Melbourne.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Ultimately it’s only going to be an issue if he’s 1s or less behind you and of course he could just defend depending on where he is on relation to the guy ahead…again 1s or less. Also, having the ability to use DRS is all well and good, but if it’s just a futile over-taking method you’re just screwing your tyres over and compounding the problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.