F1

BBC report Senna most likely to get Williams seat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    realracer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16544865.stm

Must say if it comes out true it will excite me, but at the same time feel sad for Rubens Barrichello.

Slr
    Participant

Meh, Sutil is a better option. Sutil has good pace normally, though his consistency could improve. Senna however isn’t very good in my opinion. He didn’t really impress at Hispania, and at Renault, Petrov clearly had the upper hand against him. He’s had two chances, and hasn’t really made the best of them.

Though I think Sutil is probably the best option, I’d personally prefer to see Williams give Robert Wickens an oppotunity.

realracer

@Slr I think Sutil’s incident might have sacred of a few sponsors and lost him the Williams Drive.

sbl on tour
    Participant

think i,d go with alguersuiri, hope they dont go for senna, whats he gonna do, ….nought

Jack_Hider
    Participant

@Sir, of course Petrov had the upper hand, he had been with Renault for a season and over a half already when Senna got the drive in Belgium. Petrov had already been racing that car for well over half that season and had testing too. Whereas Senna in that car got practice in Hungary and a day of winter testing which cannot be much as the car would have been completely different to the one he raced in Belgium.

Also, you cannot say that Petrov had the upper when Senna out qualified him several times and areas out-raced him.

I’d like to see Senna at Williams, but feel sorry for Rubens.

Slr
    Participant

@jackhider Senna was decent in qualifying, but he only coverted good qualifying positions into points once. In the vast majority of the races he was either off the pace, or caused accidents whilst looking good for points. Senna wasn’t entirely “rusty”, and Renault gave him a hell of a lot more support than they gave Nick Heidfeld. Petrov himself wasn’t exactly driving well and he still beat Senna.

Jack_Hider
    Participant

Okay, yes from his good qualifying pace, qualifying in the top 10 on several occasions and he only scored once. However when you look back on the final races of the season Senna was more unlucky than anything. On several occasions, such as Abu Dhabi he had KERs failures and the like. As well as what I feel poor decisions about penalties such as in Brazil with Schumacher which was in my opinion just a racing incident.

You say ‘rusty’ but just look at the start of the Belgium Grand Prix. He was rusty there due to the fact that he went charging into the first corner with race distance fuel and cold brakes. Although from what I remember he had problems in practice which was wet, he crashed. So he didn’t get any race distance fuel running.

He isn’t the best driver I’d rather see Alguersuari in the Williams this coming season, but I rate him with the similar speed of Sutil.

Slr
    Participant

@JackHider In Brazil Senna should have backed out, and should have let Schumacher go. In Belgium, the accident he caused was amateurish even by Yuji Ide’s standards.

Jack_Hider
    Participant

Firstly, Schumacher went too deep into the corner. Secondly, Yuji Ide is widely regarded as the worst formula one driver in history, I don’t see the FIA revoking Senna’s superlicence anytime soon.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Also, you cannot say that Petrov had the upper when Senna out qualified him several times and areas out-raced him.

Of the eight races they had together, Senna out-qualified Petrov three times. Of the six races they both finished, Senna out-raced Petrov just the once.

Jack_Hider
    Participant

I don’t think you can say he had the upper-hand. Senna came into the car more than half way through the season, in a car which wasn’t as good as it was at the start and on his debut he out-qualified him. Yes, he made a silly mistake. But you would have thought that Petrov who has much more racing experience more so than Senna in formula one and the lower formulae categories. You would have thought that Petrov would have ‘wiped the floor’ with him. But he didn’t. Statistics can never show the full story.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Senna came into the car more than half way through the season, in a car which wasn’t as good as it was at the start and on his debut he out-qualified him.

One qualifying performance does not make a driver good. You’re very quick to write off that mistake in the race, but that is the first thing any team principal would have noticed because qualifying doesn’t mean anything if you can’t race.

I think too many people are too supportive of the idea of Senna racing because he’s a Senna. If we were talking about, say, Lucas di Grassi, most people would not be overstating his achievements. Petrov was markedly better than Senna, and Petrov is not a highly-rated driver – so how does that make Senna worthy of a seat?

Zadak

I suppose this is the final nail in the coffin for Williams then?

Two mediocre drivers in a car that would at best be average

I’m not sure Senna’s Embratel would get that much money for Williams, their logo was never very big on the HRT when he was there.

Jack_Hider
    Participant

I feel that I may have been influenced by the media too much when it comes to this story. Whenever you read about Bruno they always mention his ‘killer’ performance in qualifying at the Belgian Grand Prix. However, Bruno qualifying so well and then racing poorly may not be a bad thing really. They dropped Heidfeld due to poor qualifying performances and then Senna comes right in with a day of testing and a practice session under his belt and he blonks the car 7th. Whereas the the more experienced driver is farther down the grid. Remember that Bruno’s other F1 experiences have been in the dog of a car HRT and the Honda RA108. Not the best of cars.

Plus, I am 18. I wasn’t even 1 even Ayrton was killed. So I feel no nostalgia towards seeing the names of Senna and Williams linked once again. I would much rather see Alguersuari in the car, but Senna is what Williams needs right now. He brings sponsors and has shown more promise in half season than Maldonado ever did in his full season for Williams. You can’t really argue that Bruno had a better car. He didn’t really.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Sorry, but I think Senna has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself. Even if the RA108 and F110 were poor cars, they were still considered good enough to judge the careers of other drivers. Senna should not be exempt from that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.