F1

Bernie accused of paying bribe.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    W-K
    Participant
    David-A
    Participant

*gasps loudl-I’m not surprised.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think this is something new, I’ve heard about this before.

Of course, he’s been “formally accused”, this must be around for quite some time. Well, corruption is all around us; it’s just a question of the justice catches them. Let’s hope they do.

BasCB
    Participant

The news in that article is a. that Gribowsky has been formally accused only now (after a long period of the prosecution/police preparing that step) and it officially mentioned Bernie E. as the one paying the bribe (indicating he might be accused of paying bribes in the future).

It was expected that this step was prepared a few days back and timed by the prosecution right before the German GP to get maximum coverage in the media.

Todfod
    Participant

The level of corruption in the governing of F1 is just ridiculous.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The level of corruption in the governing of F1 is just ridiculous.

Actually, this is the first formal accusation of corruption in the sport. Ever. Everything else that has come beforehand has just been fans disagreeing with the way the sport is run.

Todfod
    Participant

To be honest this isn’t the first time there have been accusations thrown at the credibility of the sport’s management.

Bernie admitted that he charged Mclaren 100 million in spygate fines only due to a personal bias against Ron Dennis. Renault was accused of the same thing next year, and no action was taken against Bernie’s buddy Flavio.

We have seen time and again the influence that Ferrari has had in bending, or changing, the rules as well. Getting team orders legalised, or banning innovations of their competitors has become really common.

I guess the point is that a bribe is not the only metric for measuring corruption in a sport. There have been enough scandals over the past 2 or 3 decades for us to know that the governing of the sport is unethical and corrupt.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

To be honest this isn’t the first time there have been accusations thrown at the credibility of the sport’s management.

Credibility, yes. Corruption, no. Some fans are entirely too quick and too eager to throw the word “corruption” around simply because they don’t like decisions that have been made. It’s a very dangerous accusation to make if it’s true, and all the moreso if it isn’t. Just look at the USF1 saga – the team was quite clearly mis-managed, but a lot of people claimed that it was some kind of scam. Accusations of criminal misconduct or activity are not to be taken lightly, but some people cry foul the moment the FIA does something they disagree with and for no other reason than that they disagree with it.

AlonsoWDC
    Participant

Bernie had nothing to do with the FIA’s handling of spygate, nor crashgate.

Todfod
    Participant

@PM. I guess it depends on both our definitions of corruption. For me a bribe is only the ‘caught red handed’ version of corruption. I consider all the other decisions made by the sports management to serve their personal interest, rather than the sport’s interest, a form of corruption.

Todfod
    Participant

@AlonsoWDC. Bernie has a say, and a way, in everything regarding F1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.