F1

Best driver never to race in F1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    BenH
    Participant

Saw a post on twitter from Peter Windsor about the best racer never to have driven in F1. An intriguing argument and one I would like to hear what other F1F’s think about the subject. Personally I would argue Tom Kristensen is hard to top from recent times. His record at Le Mans is second to none and I feel that it was a shame he never made it into the sport.

Anonymous
    Inactive

James Courtney looked like he could be good but he never got to race.

Slr
    Participant

Tom Kristensen probably. Maybe other guys like Jeff Gordon, Valentino Rossi and Dario Franchitti deserve a shout also.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Sebastien Loeb maybe? Watching rallies I get the impression that rally drivers require even more talent than their F1 counterparts

sbl on tour
    Participant

difficult one, perhaps ned flanders and prisoner monkeys, but which ones best, ned or pm, theres only one way to find out…………….fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sblot, aka harry hill

Anonymous
    Inactive

Colin Mcrae could have been good too? Didn’t he test for Jordan?

@Ned I’m sure 5live had a debate last year about whhich was best f1 drivers or rally drivers and it had my head spinning :P

George
    Participant

Difficult to say, different disciplines require different skills which dont necessarily translate to F1, and I dont have much knowledge of junior single seater formulae.

Just to have a random stab in the dark though, I’ll say Yvan Muller.

BenH
    Participant

Good shout on both McRae and loeb. The discipline required of a rally driver is amazing. It never really hit home fully regarding that until I heard kubica defending his decision to rally in the off season to keep his sharpness and discipline. Before I had never really appreciated just how much they can translate into performance in F1 due to them being such different styles of racing. And steph I think you may be right about the Jordan test. It does ring a bell.

sw6569
    Participant

mmmmm

Difficult question. Good one though, its a tough one!

Alain Menu? Gary Paffett? (technically never raced in F1) Gil De Ferran? Bobby Rahal?

Some questionable names I’ve put there I suppose, but thats what debate is for :p

Anonymous
    Inactive

He did Ben! I searched it on youtube and EJ has a good word to say about him and how well he would have done in F1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLoBqHw2oM

sbl on tour
    Participant

tommy byrne, although he practiced I dont think he ever raced

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Tommy Byrne was someone who came straight to my mind, but I’m pretty sure he took part in a few races

Gary Paffett is a funny case in the sense that he’s been the test driver for a top team for years now and I can barely think of a single time he’s been linked with a race drive anywhere, or had pundits bemoaning his lack of opportunities as they did with Anthony Davidson, for example

Anonymous
    Inactive

He raced a couple of times I think and then also had a few DNQs

sbl on tour
    Participant

he raced for theodore 5 times in 82, think my memory is going, still he was the d….b….

check out crashed and byrned with mark hughes, excellent read

SteveMovieVoice
    Participant

Paffet was linked with Montoya empty McLaren seat before Hamilton was announced. He was also rumoured to race for Prodrive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.