F1

Can someone explain me something?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    JPQuesado
    Participant

I’ve been curious all year with this. What does the 0+ means on Mark Webber’s suit? I would really like to know. Is that indicating how many championships has he won (none)?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It has nothing to do with championships because it’s not the number zero – it’s the letter “O”. It’s his blood type. All drivers have it somewhere on their person. In the event of a serious injury, one that requires a blood transfusion, the markings tell doctors exactly what blood supplies they will need so that they can be prepared in advance of a driver arriving at hospital. Blood type O and its derivatives – O-positive and O-negative – are the most common in Australia.

Well, I never knew that. Fascinating.

JPQuesado
    Participant

Ok. Thanks for the explanation!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay I’ve wanted to know something for a while too, but instead of starting a new thread I’ll just keep going with this one.

It can be the ‘Something I’ve Wanted Explained’ thread :)

Why are there 5 lights at the start/finish line. Why not 1? Or 3? Is there some significance of 5 or are there different light combinations for different things?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Five lights are there to count down the race. It gives the drivers ample warning that the race is about to begin. As Martin Brundle pointed out in Singapore, anywhere between three and seven seconds may pass between the final light turning on and all five turning off.

wasiF1
    Participant

@ PM

” anywhere between three and seven seconds may pass between the final light turning on and all five turning off”

aren’t those time constant through all the races, I thought that they goes on one at a time after each second & another second for all of them to go off.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I thought they lit up one by one, then there was a delay before all going out and the race starts.

But that still doesn’t answer why there are 5…

They could have it with 3 like at running race events (On you marks. Get set. *BANG*).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yes it does: it gives the drivers ample warning. For example, if there was just one light, more drivers would be caught out unawares when it changed. The five lights are there so that the drivers cannot argue that they missed the start. I said that.

damonsmedley
    Participant

It has nothing to do with championships because it’s not the number zero – it’s the letter “O”. It’s his blood type. All drivers have it somewhere on their person. In the event of a serious injury, one that requires a blood transfusion, the markings tell doctors exactly what blood supplies they will need so that they can be prepared in advance of a driver arriving at hospital. Blood type O and its derivatives – O-positive and O-negative – are the most common in Australia.

How do you know this stuff PM? I am always interested in reading your comments as most of the time I learn something! Did you invent Formula 1 and design all of the rules and regulations in a previous life? :P

wasiF1
    Participant

@ damonsmedley may be PM sits in the Stewart’s room during the race with the rule book in his hand.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@PM Yes sorry I misread your post the first 10 times I read it. I’m more awake now..

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

How do you know this stuff PM? I am always interested in reading your comments as most of the time I learn something! Did you invent Formula 1 and design all of the rules and regulations in a previous life?

Thanks for the shout out, but I’m afraid I don’t have an answer for you, much less a straight one. I just … do things, if that makes sense. I can’t explain how I know it, I simply do.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with Damon. You and Keith are like really fun F1 teachers :P I’m always amazed at the quality and knowledge of your posts.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

You were born with infinite knowledge of Formula 1 and you subconsciously enlighten people on the topic daily.

Yes. That. Except not nearly as impressive, and slightly more mundane. I don’t have superpowers, though I’m flattered that you think I have something akin to them. I’m just a guy with way too much time on his hands for it to be healthy. I should write a book or something.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.