F1

Car numbers needed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Godfrey
    Participant

Now that drivers are changing their helmet design on a regular basis I think its time that we went back to BIG black numbers on BIG white circles to i/d the drivers. Does anyone agree?

Of course certain teams can sometimes be i/d by which front wing the driver is using but even that can be swopped I’m told! (Yes ok sarcasm is the lowest from of wit…..I’ll get me coat)

Icthyes
    Participant

I’m all for it, but what I’d really like to see is a return to the semi-permanent numbers of old. Having the #3 on your car for doing well instead of having #14 as always in truth matters very little for sponsorship. Its the #1 that matters most and how good is Schumacher’s #3 for image when he struggles to get into Q3 in half the races?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The irony there is that Schumacher would still be carrying the number three under the old system. Tyrrell used to carry the three and four before the new system was introduced. They were bought by BAR, who were bought by Honda, who were bought by Brawn, who were bought by Mercedes. Brawn was the only team to win a World Championship in there, but Jenson Button went to McLaren, meaning Mercedes would still carry the three and the four.

Icthyes
    Participant

Weren’t Brawn classified as a new team though? It’s why they had 22 and 23 on their cars (they should have had 20 and 21 but Force India had already produced promotional material with those numbers on their car).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It depends on how the FIA would have interpreted the numbering rules. It may have been classified as a new team, but it was still the same group of people.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that it’s still rare for both drivers to change design at the same GP, and mostly they change colouring, not design. But maye because I follow F1 very closely and I know when a driver changes hhelmet how it looks.

But to identify drivers look at the colour of the on board camera: red – 1st driver, yellow – 2nd driver.

Icthyes
    Participant

I can never tell beyond:

Awful: Vettel/ING-sponsored

Good: Everyone else

sbl on tour
    Participant

@fixy, youve got it , red and yellow, thats it, period, who gives a stuff bout the helmets, its not as if its worth a millisecond per lap

sblot

Stephen Jones
    Participant

yeah, definitely big numbers needed..

i’d also like to see drivers using number’s they choose.

so except for #1, everyone else has a number they use for multiple seasons, kind of like an ID, like a helmet.

i.e. i’ve been racing under 21 for the last 6 years in karts.. so thats kind of my identity

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.