F1

Could Sauber spring a surprise?

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

After a lousy 2014, and a 2015 line-up that has hardly got people excited: I wonder if Sauber could confound everyone and be a revelation?

After all when they announced rookie Perez and one-season-only Kobayashi, no-one thought much of it. And then the car turned out to be good and light on tyres, Perez had great car sympathy, the team had great strategy and Kobayashi had a great fighting spirit. And their results were pretty remarkable – even getting to within a hair’s breath of a win.

Could this happen again? Could Nasr turn out to be brilliant? Could Ericsson be a reliable and consistent points winner?

How likely could this happen? Or is it another year of scraping around for a point, if they are lucky?!

Ciaran
    Participant

Will Sauber do better than last year? Definitely. But I don’t think they will be brillant this season and I find it very unlikely they’ll be fighting for podiums. I see them competing at a Toro Rosso sort of level, achieving points often enough, but not really setting the world alight.

Todfod
    Participant

I would be shocked if they can turn around their 2014 form. I expect Nasr to impress in his rookie season though.. a few points finishes should be in reach for him. Doubt Ericcson will score a point all season long

JackySteeg
    Participant

I don’t see any reason why Nasr couldn’t emulate Perez in that Sauber. Nasr was as good to his tyres as anyone during his tenure in GP2. Both had fairly similar results, too, so yeah, if the cars there or thereabouts Nasr could spring a surprise or two. As for Ericsson, he now has the benefit of experience and certainly began to look pretty strong towards the end of last year. I’d be surprised if he could beat Nasr over the course of the year, mind you, but I do believe that the current Sauber pairing could be as good as their 2012 pairing.

I’d be astonished if we saw a team performance on par with their 2012 season, but I’ve a feeling we’ll see something 2011-ish from them. I’ve got a good feeling about Nasr — Brazil definitely needs a bright talent for the future.

Dan
    Participant

I think the best chance of a surprise result will be within the first 2 or 3 races. As the teams such as McLaren are likely to have the majority of the teething/ reliability problems sorted out by the start of the European season. Since Sauber haven’t got as much prize money this year its likely in my view they will be simply out developed, however if it is a crazy race due for some reason i.e. weather like Malaysian grand prix in 2012 they might take a risky strategy as they have nothing to lose and easily have a surprise result.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Love it when a prediction goes right!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.