F1

Drivers greatest strength

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    TommyB
    Participant

We all know some drivers are better at certain things than others. Vettel is a master at Qualifying, Kobayashi is a top overtaker, Button is great in wet/dry conditions.

What would you say each drivers biggest strength is?

vinicius.jlantunes
    Participant

I think Alonso is great at “real-time” strategy assessment / decisions.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you mean better than every other driver in the field or what their strongest at out of their skills? Sorry, my brains not working well at the moment! Either way…

Button’s switch-to-slicks tactic is his one real trick.

Hamilton’s qualifying speed probably.

Massa and Petrov tend to get good starts. Massa’s strength used to be qualifying and/or being able to put in perfect stints as Rob Smedley said in an interview about Monaco 09 but that seems to have gone or perhaps Alonso makes it look like that.

I have no idea with Alonso because he is an all rounder in my mind. I’d say his ability to direct a team perhaps but he’s the hardest to pick.

Sutil-the piano.

Trulli used to be the quali master and if he hadn’t lost that I’d say he could be quicker over one lap than anyone out there so I find ti a real shame to see him struggling in Lotus.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sutil-the piano.

Oh Steph, no girl, you didn’t. *homeboy finger snap* You got me roaring with laughter.

Rosberg’s strength has got to be his Britney impersonation.

Massa understands team radio messages loud and clear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Massa’s strongest strength – his sight. He doesn’t need white visors. :P

Anonymous
    Inactive

Massa’s strongest strength – his sight. He doesn’t need white visors. :P

Also, he knows how to stay cool, baby, stay cool. :-D

James_mc
    Participant

I would say Sutil’s is street circuits – particularly Monaco.

Webber, much as I do like him, his greatest strength is PR

Heidfeld – Consistency ;-)

sbl on tour
    Participant

webber, for pr insert bs!

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Nick Heidfeld: facial hair grooming

Fernando Alonso: voice acting

Jarno Trulli: one lap speciali- huh, what’s that? Outqualified how many times?!? OK, scratch that…

(come to think of it, everyone seems to have forgotten that Mark Webber too was seen as one of the best qualifiers in F1 until 2009, and now he’s being made to look like a slow coach by his teammate.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just stating the obvious since no one has brought it up yet…

Vettel – finger pointing

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alonso, I would say he’s Schumacher-like sometimes.. I guess you would call that all-rounder or whatever.. but he does seem to have that magic of winning races no one else would do and consistently outperforming his machine. And car/team development skills also. He’s still lacking one fundamental Schumacheresque characteristic, though: the hability of producing fast lap times (or fast enough) in crucial moments of a race, “to push his car to the very limit for sustained periods” to quote wikipedia. At least I don’t remember him doing that very often.

Vettel, if anyone from the present time was to be compared to Senna, it would be him, for sure, the master qualifier and the master-in-winning-races-from-pole.

Button, true that he’s very good in changeable conditions, but definitely not a Regenmeister or Rei da Chuva like Schumi and Senna were of their time.

Hamilton, his carnage-potential whenever they change an engine/gearbox, ;)

Heidfeld, a master tactictian able to snatch podiums with not-so-worthy machines, a bit MartinBrundle-like (also because that expected maiden win never arrived)

Rosberg must be his already mentioned here androgynous qualities

Massa, his likability; it seems that guy that is impossible to not like him for his character

Koby, obviously his overtaking skills, but also his defensive fairness which is unique amongst his peers (meaning he can’t be accused of blocking too hard with a straight face)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, and Kubica has got something special too, although it’s not easy to point it out (maybe all-roundedness? out-performing his machines? like Alonso)

Neusalz
    Participant

Alonso – Very good under pressure

Hamilton – Overtaking

Kobayashi – Overtaking

Petrov – Very good starts

Narain – Very good at getting beat by his teammates

Button – Brilliant at weather-changing conditions

Sutil – As mentioned above, street circuits

Kubica – Consistent/Reliable

Stephen Jones
    Participant

D’Ambrosio – Being Invisible

Kubica – Formula 1

Hamilton – “sticking it up the inside”

Webber – Swearing

Alguersuari – Dubstep

Trulli – Freight Train Driving

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kimi Raikkonen – speed during races. He equalled two times Schumacher’s 2004 record for fastest laps in a season, 10 (2005 & 2008) and Ascari’s 1952 record of consecutive fastest laps in a season, 6 (2008).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.