F1

DRS, is it like Marmite?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Craig Woollard
    Participant

Ever since it was introduced in 2011, DRS continues to divide opinion, everywhere, not just on here. I personally have no problem with DRS, but many people seem to. I may be adopting an unpopular opinion on this but I do feel that DRS has been one of the best things ever to happen to Formula 1, along with the reintroduction of slick tyres, and the restrictions on traction control.

Rewind 5 years ago, back to 2008. Every race included the classic ‘Trulli Train’, and though many consider it to be a classic season, and in some people’s eyes one of the best battles for the title, we never really saw many great races.

Now, we have a situation where as oppose to 3 or 4 exciting races a year, we are now getting 3 or 4 dull races a year. I do not feel that this is solely down to Pirelli, though it has helped play a part. Especially as shown in today’s race, drivers were able to fight outside of DRS zones. We are now not only seeing gutsy moves like Webber on Alonso at Spa or Raikkonen on Schumacher a year later, but tactical passes which shows the mental capabilities of these drivers as well. Last year in Canada, Hamilton specifically waited before overtaking Alonso, because chances were a lunge down the inside could have put both out the race. Long story short however, I think we are past the sort of era where the race was effectively over after 1 lap, we are seeing amazing racing all down the field. It’s just a shame some have to say the racing is ‘artificial’ or ‘fake’ due to a button. It’s not as if we have had magic buttons in Formula 1 before anyway. I personally don’t want to watch a race like San Marino 2005 or 2006 where it was frustratingly annoying to see a driver not being able to overtake, despite being faster.

I was on the edge of my seat throughout most of last season, and I have been for much of this season, I hope it continues like this.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

I’ll agree with you there mate. I think DRS is great, people who don’t like it are people who’ve been watching since 1978 and thrive on nostalgia wishing Senna hadn’t died in 1994.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

I think it all comes down to which tracks need DRS and which tracks don’t. Bahrain, as we saw on multiple occasions, is one of the tracks that could very well do without the use of DRS. That’s all. DRS is not particulary a bad thing, it’s just one of those good things badly implemented / at times used when they are not needed.

I for one would love it for F1 to ditch DRS and change the usage rules for the forthcoming, more-powerful ERS system, in order to make something along the lines of the push-to-pass used in IndyCar out of it.

But that’s only my opinion. One of the millions out there.
    And because of that DRS is and will remain a neverending debate. Some will want it gone, some will want it to stay, some will think it’s best if the FIA regulate it further and so on. So many people, so many opinions.

I think as long as there’s a vast majority of people (a majority that includes mostly people who only want to watch races, root for one guy or the other and don’t care about getting too involved with the inside-job of it all) that considers F1 thrilling, doesn’t get bored with it and keeps watching it / keeps attending races and so on, Bernie won’t give a dime about whether those with more knowledge of the sport like it or not. He will keep DRS and he will add a rocket engine to each car in order to provide even more spectacular overtaking, if that’s what most people want to see. Simple as that.

If the FIA get DRS right then it’s great. Today it was possible to defend against DRS, and it just created lots of wheel-to-wheel racing. When they get it wrong, however, it can ruin potentially great battles

Bendanarama
    Participant

Yes. DRS is very Yeasty, and goes will on toast, just like Marmite.

fangio85
    Participant

Drs ain’t got **** on vegemite :D

matt90
    Participant

“people who don’t like it are people who’ve been watching since 1978”

That’s among the biggest load of nonsense I’ve ever read. I’ve been watching since 2004/5, and I see it as a scourge. If any more proof were ever needed, see Alonso managing to finish in a respectable position today, even passing others on the way, despite broken DRS. Why on earth do people who have watched F1 for a long time have less valid opinions anyway?

matt90
    Participant

“I personally don’t want to watch a race like San Marino 2005 or 2006 where it was frustratingly annoying to see a driver not being able to overtake, despite being faster.”

I find this this be the oddest choice for races which were lacking. Those were 2 incredibly well regarded races. They were wonderfully tense, partly because of the inherent difficulty of passing at Imola, and partly due to the supreme defensive abilities of Alonso and Schumacher. We saw two great drivers showing what they were capable of on both occasions. If passing is the only enjoyment you can gain from F1, I don’t think that means that F1 should bend to your will. This is in the same way that I have heard many people refer to Monaco 1992 as a classic, where Mansell pushed Senna right to the end. In racing, a spectacle can be of equal worth whether it features great defence or great attack.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I think what he means is that nobody really wants to see a situation arise where the potential for a good race is spoiled by one car that simply holds everyone up. For instance, what if the leader breaks free of the pack, and the third-placed driver has the pace to catch him and race for him – but he gets stuck behind the car in second? And what if he gets stuck behind that second-placed car for so long that the leader can build up a cushion at the front such that he can pit without risking losing a position?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.