F1

End-season F1 prospect awards

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wsrgo
    Participant

Best GP2 Driver –
    Best GP3 Driver –
    Best FR3.5 Driver –
    Best Formula 3 Driver (any F3 series) –
    Best Young Driver in another series (DTM, AutoGP, FR2.0, national F4 series) –
    Best Driver In A New Series (e.g. drivers moving up from GP3 to GP2) –
    Most Overrated Driver –
    Most Disappointing Driver –
    Most Overlooked Driver –
    Most Improved Driver –
    Best Overall F1 Prospect –

wsrgo
    Participant

Best GP2 Driver – Sam Bird: on certain occasions this year, I was wondering, “Why isn’t this guy in an F1 car? Lost out because of an embarrassing stall, but an incredible season nevertheless.
    Best GP3 Driver – Daniil Kvyat: the way he took matters into his own hands in the second half, and literally came out of nowhere to win the series, was incredible. F1 beckons.
    Best FR3.5 Driver – Kevin Magnussen: like Kvyat, was unbeatable in the last few weekends. He has evolved over the year, and is tremendously mature and consistent now. Should have an F1 seat in 2014.
    Best Formula 3 Driver (any F3 series) – Marvin Kirchhofer: as Marciello wasn’t that consistent, he misses out, whereas Kirchhofer got 25 podiums in 26 races in German F3. GP3 in 2014 a real possibility.
    Best Young Driver in another series (AutoGP, Formula Renault. 2.0, National F4 level series etc.) – Pierre Gasly: Just 17 years old, the Frenchman showed Red Bull they had erred in not taking him in their Junior Team. Should be in WSR with Tech1 next year.
    Best Driver In A New Series (e.g. drivers moving up from GP3 to GP2) – Stoffel Vandoorne: by a huge margin. Consistency was lacking, but he’s shown tremendous maturity. Might stick around for a title-assault for a WSR, but was mighty quick in post-season testing in GP2.
    Most Overrated Driver – Carlos Sainz, Jr.: Sainz is quick, but it ends there. He was overshadowed by Kvyat in GP3, and also failed to beat Will Buller in WSR. Next year might be his last chance, although his brain-fade at Abu Dhabi might have cost him already. Macau’s next up, needs a good showing desperately.
    Most Disappointing Driver – Daniel Abt: another one who needs a good 2014 to revive his stock, 2013 was a disaster. A change of scenery might do him good, and he was okay in post-season testing with Hilmer.
    Most Overlooked Driver – Nico Muller and Antonio Giovinazzi: former was rather under the radar despite two wins in WSR and a good season overall. DTM is most likely option, but did do GP2 post season testing. The latter had a superb season in a failing Double R squad, mixing it up with the big boys in Euro F3, and finishing 2nd in British F3, ahead of F3 veteran Will Buller.
    Most Improved Driver – Harry Tincknell: last year’s British F3 sprint king showed his hand in the absence of sprint races in Euro F3. Yes, Kvyat was Carlin’s best driver in the races he participated. But Tincknell showed extraordinary consistency, and made no mistakes. Fifth behind the all-conquering Premas and Felix Rosenqvist.
    Best Overall F1 Prospect – Kevin Magnussen

Kingshark
    Participant

Best GP2 Driver – Fabio Leimer
    Best GP3 Driver – Daniil Kvyat
    Best FR3.5 Driver – Kevin Magnussen
    Best Formula 3 Driver – Raffaele Marciello
    Best Young Driver in another series – Dan Cammish (dominated British Formula Ford)
    Best Driver In A New Series – Stoffel Vandoorne
    Most Overrated Driver – Antonio Felix da Costa
    Most Disappointing Driver – Daniël de Jong or Stefano Coletti (after than season start)
    Most Overlooked Driver – Robin Frijns, sadly
    Most Improved Driver – Sam Bird
    Best Overall F1 Prospect – Stoffel Vandoorne

SeaHorse
    Participant

@wsrgo & @Kingshark What is your opinion on Antonio Fuoco? He is the 2013 Formula Renault 2.0 Alps champion.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Thanks for mentioning Dan, Kingshark, he won EVERY race in Formula Ford, I hope he continues to move up the ladder.

Kingshark
    Participant

@seahorse
    I have almost never watched Formula Renault 2.0, so while I cannot comment on his driving, his results suggests that he is a consistently fast driver. Out of 14 races, he has had 6 wins and 11 podiums. He’s also quite good over one lap, with 5 pole positions.

Then again, that’s just me commenting based on the standings more-so than the little racing footage I have on him.

Best Young Driver in another series (DTM, AutoGP, FR2.0, national F4 series) – Stephen Jones
    Best Driver In A New Series (e.g. drivers moving up from GP3 to GP2) – Stephen Jones
    Most Overlooked Driver – Stephen Jones
    Most Improved Driver – Stephen Jones
    Best Overall F1 Prospect – Stephen Jones

wsrgo
    Participant

@seahorse Fuoco is a top talent for sure, Ferrari have taken on another talented Italian driver, it seems. He beat more experienced drivers like Luca Ghotto and Bruno Bonifacio, both of whom were very strong in Formula Abarth last year. By the end of the season, he had added consistency to his pace, and was looking very strong and mature. He’s just a year out of karts, so it’s a bit too early to say, but if he can continue to learn and develop, he could be in F1 for sure, say around five to six years from now.
    He’ll be doing the FIA European F3 championship with Prema next year, and I expect him to be fighting for strong points’ finishes and even the occasional podium.
    Here’s a profile on him by PaddockScout.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

This is the second forum post I’ve seen in around 12 months.

I don’t know how I found it, but I’m glad I did

Nick
    Participant

Best GP2 Driver – Sam Bird: to be fair, none of the GP2 drivers really stood out this season. Still, Sam Bird looked the most mature (which is somewhat logical) and consistent.
    Best GP3 Driver – Daniil Kvyatt: haven’t followed the series much, but his results here, combined with those in F3 left a good impression.
    Best FR3.5 Driver – Kevin Magnussen: looked good in 2012, but delivered on his promise in 2013, blew away Vandoorne in the second half of the season.
    Best Formula 3 Driver (any F3 series) – Raffaele Marciello: only really followed European F3, in which he was easily the best. What on earth was going on in Zandvoort, though?
    Best Young Driver in another series (DTM, AutoGP, FR2.0, national F4 series) – Antonio Fuoco: came, saw, conquered. McLaren might not be the only team with 2 of it’s young driver programme driving for them in a couple of years.
    Best Driver In A New Series (e.g. drivers moving up from GP3 to GP2) – Stoffel Vandoorne: came ever so close to repeating Frijns’ achievement of winning FR2.0 and 3.5 back to back, but Frijns had a little more luck with Bianchi and Bird also taking points from each other and Da Costa in there too. Vandoorne lost 1 on 1 to Magnussen, who is a little more experienced.
    Most Overrated Driver – Stefano Coletti: remember when this guy was going to sign for Sauber or Force India because of his stellar GP2 campaign? Me neither.
    Most Disappointing Driver – Antonio Felix da Costa: Hyped? Yes. Could he have done better? A bigger yes.
    Most Overlooked Driver – Nigel Melker: another solid season in a competitive field, but absolutely 0 chances of moving to F1.
    Most Improved Driver – Sam Bird: never looked really close to the title in FR3.5 in 2012, but he impressed this year in GP2.
    Best Overall F1 Prospect – Kevin Magnussen.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Best GP2 Driver – Fabio Leimer – consistent, as opposed to Bird, scored as many feature race wins (those that count) as the Brit, great from half-season
    Best GP3 Driver – Daniil Kvyat – showed great progress during the season
    Best FR3.5 Driver – Stoffel Vandoorne – was in his first season as compared to Magnussen’s second
    Best Formula 3 Driver (any F3 series) – Raffaele Marciello
    Best Young Driver in another series (DTM, AutoGP, FR2.0, national F4 series) – Antonio Fuoco
    Best Driver In A New Series (e.g. drivers moving up from GP3 to GP2) – Dean Stoneman
    Most Overrated Driver – Robin Frijns/Tom Dillmann/Felipe Nasr – very good, but not quite performed to their potential
    Most Disappointing Driver – Stefano Coletti – what happened?
    Most Overlooked Driver – Kevin Ceccon
    Most Improved Driver – Christian Vietoris
    Best Overall F1 Prospect – Kevin Magnussen – he’s ready!

Nick
    Participant

@fixy

Best Driver In A New Series (e.g. drivers moving up from GP3 to GP2) – Dean Stoneman

If there was a comeback of the year award, he’d win hands down. Hope to see him in GP3 next season.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.