F1

F1 Famous Phrases?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Hare
    Participant

Lewis Hamilton has recently had an interview ( http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84512 ) in which he said the following:

“If I am able to keep my head and stay focussed, as this is where you really have to knuckle and grind, to brush it down to the bone, then this is where you can make a difference.”

Now, I didn’t think heard the phrase “brush it down to the bone” before, so I googled it. Turns out, he’s the ONLY person every to be recorded by google using this phrase. He’s invented it! He’s like Shakespeare…

“knuckle and grind” is also kinda new, as I can’t find anyone else saying that in a similar context..

Perhaps he meant “knuckle down” and “grind it to the bone?”

Are there any other phrases that have been made up by F1 drivers? :)

sw6569
    Participant

using ‘for sure’ as an acceptable form of English

non drivers –

Ron Dennis – ‘brain fade’

and millions upon millions of made up rubbish by Murray Walker (but we love it :D)

Macca
    Participant

It not an F1 driver but I think it’s worth a mention. One of the AFL (Football)players in Australia was in a tress confrence and was asked about the opposition he would be up against next game and he said…

“They don’t talk much smoke and shadows behind the window”

I think he may have gotten a little confussed.

NOTE: Australians will proberbly find this funnier.

TommyB
    Participant

What about Vettel “Observatating”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBSpgYxvakY

Steph90

Sure at the weekend in an interview with the BBC hamilton said “memorious” instead of “memorable”

TomD11
    Participant

@Steph: That one got me too. Although it is actually a word, which was news to me. Not sure he knew that though.

Scribe
    Participant

“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement not in years alone.” Bruce McLaren.

F1 drivers have come out with some pretty profound and revealing things over the years. Senna gave us some gems, my favourite is a well known one but it tells us a huge amount about the way he thought about the world and the way he raced.

“Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.”

Still check out some of the things he said: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/ayrton_senna.html his intellect and his way with words was one of the most impressive things about Senna.

rampante
    Participant

Senna was capable of some good quotations but he also came out with complete rubbish which has mostly been lost in time. It’s easy to be selective with someone who has not been about for a long time. I said on another thread about Murray Walker, everyone now loves him but if you lstened to a full GP at several points a foot could have quite easily gone through the TV.

‘la macchina perfetta è ancora da costruire’ The perfect race car is still to be built. Said by Enzo Ferrari in the very early 70’s and still true today.

Steph90

@TomD I know but I don’t think he quite meant that word esp as he stumbled over it a few times. It was one of those sweet moments where you feel sorry for someone for something so little but also faintly amused.

Icthyes
    Participant

Personally I always thought that Senna one was rubbish. Maybe if you’re in a top car and believe God is directing everything that happens, but if you’re a Toro Rosso or HRT it’s a ridiculous attitude.

irishlad
    Participant

Love this stuff :D

Murray said some memorable quotes in his day :

“With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go”

Heres a quote from Brundle a few years back. Learn from this legard haters :)

“Next time the Grand Prix is on, turn the volume down and start talking.

See how far you get before you run out of words, or start repeating yourself, or you make a mistake.

And it’s not very far.”

TommyB
    Participant

I loved hearing about Enzo’s attitude to F1 and this quote sums it up.

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines.”

Enzo Ferrari

irishlad
    Participant

They still seem to be keeping on that tradition, isnt it Ferrari that have the simple front and rear wing this year compared to the rest ?.

My personal favourites are….

“Monaco baby, yeahhhhhhh”

“I was doing a ****”

and

“they’re AB-SO-LUTE-LY, FURIOUS”

Ads21
    Participant

how about some Brundlisms?

“hug the apex like it’s your favourate granny”

“the car’s understearing like a cross channel ferry/shopping trolley”

last Sunday:

“We’ve seen [the surface] breaking up in previous years but whatever they’ve put down now has all of the qualities of polished marble.”

(Hamilton gets badly out of shape in Becketts)

“That’s Lewis straight on the radio for new underwear.”

there are so many more, in fact i found this martin brundle quote website which i’m going to save for another time cus i could be there for hours.

http://www.brundlequotes.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.