F1

F1 roadtrip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    VettelS

One of my goals for life is go on an “F1 roadtrip”- drive around Europe to each race of the season. It’s something that I will definitely do one day. But the point of this thread really is to find out if anyone else has ever done or considered it. Obviously money is the biggest hurdle to overcome- tickets alone would account for at least half of the costs. So what are your thoughts?

RIISE

Are you planning on having a job? Or winning the lottery.

VettelS

Well obviously it will take a lot of planning, and I won’t be doing it any time soon.

Like I said, tickets are the biggest expense, and you can’t change how much they cost. But by doing everything else really cheaply, it wouldn’t cost that much more than what some people pay for a few weeks in…Cyrpus or Florida or something. For instance, only staying in super-cheap hotels (or hostels) or just camping.

JPQuesado
    Participant

I would like to do that too, but working as a journalist following the F1 circus. I’m seriously considering to get into journalism.

LHJBFTW
    Participant

Its going to cost some seriouse money but if you can do it it’ll be great.

One thing i’ve allways wanted to do is watch the Spa GP, then in two weeks cycle to Monza to watch the Italian GP. Its only about 50km a day with just a few Alps in the way ;).

VettelS

Just been thinking about money, and I reckon you could probably do it for about £15k (including admission) if you drove economically, stayed in tents and hostels and were really careful with food bills. It’s definitely possible, especially if you don’t have a family or a mortgage :)

Here’s a (very) rough estimate (based on a 20-race season):

• Admission – £6k
    • Plane tickets (for fly-away races) – £1.5k
    • Fuel – £2k
    • Accommodation and food – £5.5k

I think that seems pretty reasonable and realistic really.

Edit: I’ve also worked out the the plan would mean about 10,000 miles of driving over the course of the season.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

I’m sure it’d be amazing, but it’d cost a small fortune- and then some. Check this guy’s website, he went to not only every European race, but each and every GP in 2010: http://www.getjealous.com/alexjsnell

Mack41
    Participant

I can’t help but feel that your fuel estimate is crazy low. I’m American planning a roadtrip across the country this year and I put estimates of gas as $4k at least. This is a very weighted estimate, taking into account absolute worst fuel economy. From what I know of Europe gas prices are much higher than here, and fluctuate a great deal from country to country. I wish you all the best of luck in achieving your goal (as I agree, it would be EPIC). Maybe buy some lottery tickets Monday.

VettelS

@Mack41 Current fuel prices are around 130p per litre at the moment. £2k of fuel is therefore equivalent to just over 1500L. Put that fuel in a car that does, say, 30mpg, would take you over 11,000 miles. Given that the actual minimum distance is somewhere around 9,500 miles, and I would be using a vehicle that does at least 40mpg (possibly a motorbike rather than a car), £2k should be more than enough (even taking into account the inevitable fuel price rises over the next few years).

Also, how far are you planning to drive? $4k is about £2.5k.

sw6569
    Participant

There was a bloke who did it last year and blogged about it – http://www.getjealous.com/alexjsnell

Might be worth having a read/asking him questions. He did the whole season!

GeeMac
    Participant

getjealous.com. How very fitting!

australian
    Participant

i am doing Melb, Malaysian & China this year, its gona cost $ 4,500. USD>

I’ve got Grandstands tix & staying in 5 star hotels. This includes airfare, tickets, accomodation & spending money.. Its affordable really.

S.J.M
    Participant

Depends on what car it is your travelling in for fuel. If your going to driver a sporty car then it will cost more then driving a diesal hatchback.

Id love to do the same as the OP’s proposed, but its a time/cost thing and unless I find myself with more money then i know what to do it, its not possible. Doing 2-3 races in sequence would be possible and as much fun, and a lot cheaper, so perhaps thats a better option?

AndrewTanner
    Participant

It sounds like such a dream thing to do, but I can’t see it ever happening for me, not worldwide at least.

What I would like to do is string maybe 2 or 3 together in Europe. I can use the opportunity to explore the world a little with friends and follow the F1 circus.

australian
    Participant

i say, go for it !!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.