F1

Ferrari's low downforce- what's the cause?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ell
    Participant

What is the cause? In my opinion it’s a mix between a very conservative car, and the push rod suspension. what about you guys?

BarnstableD
    Participant

Last race I’d say they had the second most downforce of the field. Rest of the races however I think it’s largely to do with the off-throttle blown diffuser. Last race they had updates though so maybe they have just gained.

DavidS
    Participant

It’s not that they are lacking in downforce, it’s just that the Red Bull has so much.

Asanator
    Participant

It’s a non question, I’m not sure what you mean by low downforce, do you mean lacking? if so, I don’t think they are any more, maybe at the start of the season compared to Redbull, but not any of the other teams.

I think the push-rod suspension is why they are slightly easier on the tyres compared to most other teams and it is probably why they tend to take a lap longer to get up to full tyre temp. But it isn’t a lack of downforce (any more anyway).

Ell
    Participant

Yeah, the push-rod is easier on the tyres, but why have Ferrari said that tyre wear is a very weak point on their car?

Asanator
    Participant

They haven’t – It is one of the strong points! :S

electrolite
    Participant

You could put it down to a conservative design. One that, by playing it safe, was strong in the early stages before the more daring teams optimised their more radical designs, like McLaren for instance.

There is a fun little theory of mine which says teams like Red Bull, McLaren and Renault are hitting a brick wall with their designs and the development is now tweaking and bringing in new wings. But Ferrari, more of a blank canvas, is easier to bolt new parts onto and make radical changes in direction in terms of R&D development. Informed? Hardly. Any evidence? Not at all. But you know, it’s fun to speculate :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.