F1

FIA – just responding to the survey?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mattclinch
    Participant

I was pondering the proposed rule changes for F1 the other day when it occurred to me that the FIA might actually be implementing changes purely based on the fan survey.

I don’t believe the FIA itself has done an F1 survey since 2005/6, but the FOTA survey of last year ( results here https://www.racefans.net/2009/03/06/fotas-f1-fans-survey-results-in-full/ ) was widely publicised.

The top two ‘turn-ons’ clearly can’t be influenced – there will always be a winner, and F1 attracts the most skilled drivers already – but technology and in particular overtaking are 3rd and 4th on the list.

What are the chances that the FIA think a moveable rear wing and KERS will appease these, regardless of how artificial the overtakes may be? Two equal drivers on the track would be likely to pass, and re-pass each other once, maybe twice a lap with ease. Of course the catch-22 is that fans will know that this does not constitute ‘driver-skill’ as such.

Essentially, are the FIA listening to the fans, just implementing the wrong ideas?

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

According to those same results, the notion of KERS is unpopular among those filling in the survey. Over a quarter of those filling in the survey said that KERS should not return to F1 and 35.8% said it was hard to measure KERS’ success. In fact the only idea that was less popular on the survey was going to new places at the expense of classic circuits.

Nobody asked us about moveable aero.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.