F1

Gary Anderson joins BBC F1 team

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

BBC have announced two new additions to their coverage team for 2012: Gary Anderson (ex-Jordan, Stewart, Jaguar, McLaren and Brabham) and Jennie Gow:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16516805.stm

raymondu999
    Participant

Given that he used to be the analyst commentator alongside Steve Slater at ESPN Star Sports’ F1 coverage; I wonder who’s going to be taking his place at ESPN.

Sangeen

I hope Chris Goodwin comes back

@raymondu999 I’m at the Autosport show today, I’ll ask Steve Slater if I see him, I’ve seen him here before.

raymondu999
    Participant

@keithcollantine Cheers mate. Thanks.

Back on topic – I wonder how the structure will work. Will he be in a capacity like Mike Gascoyne in the 2009 Chinese Grand Prix? Or will it be a commentary trio; with Ben Edwards taking the narration; DC talking of the driving; and Anderson talking of the technical aspects?

Estesark
    Participant

At first I thought Anderson was going to become James Allen’s co-commentator on the radio, because that position still seems to be open, but that BBC article doesn’t say exactly what he will be contributing.

Also, they still haven’t cleared up what sort of coverage the Canadian and US Grands Prix will be getting, referring to the highlights for only the European and Far Eastern races.

George
    Participant

I assume he’ll be doing Ted’s old job raymond? Jennie Gow was really good when she subbed for Pinkham last year, 5 live should be fine if James Allen can handle all the links and things. Out of interest, do we know who will be joining Allen in the commentary box, since Davidson is confirmed for Sky?

raymondu999
    Participant

@George That would be a waste of talent methinks. Anderson is an experienced tech director and would be a lot of value explaining technical concepts to more general audiences. He was previously the color commentator for ESPN Star Sports alongside Steve Slater so I would think that Ant Davidson’s old job, as @Estesark said, would be a better fit.

Ted’s an alright bloke; and he knows a lot of the folks in the paddock who can tell him things; but to be honest he doesn’t have the best understanding of all things technical. I like him for his insights; but not for his analysis. Mind you; he’s not the only journalist/reporter figure to try to educate people on technical aspects of F1 despite being wrong about a lot of these things.

No joy finding him but fortunately he’s on Twitter:

“Thanks for all the questions regarding who might replace Gary Anderson alongside me. Can’t announce it yet, but they are going to be good!”

raymondu999
    Participant

I wonder if the use of the word “they” is by way of casual talk; or if it means he’ll have 2 colour comms people. Hmmm. They do have Alex Yoong on their payroll. I wonder if it’ll be him. Anyone remember Yoong? :P

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.