F1

Good corners on bad circuits

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

As we all know, Abu Dhabi’s reputation as a bad circuit is near-legendary. But as I watching a video of a flying lap the other day, I couldn’t help but notice that there were a few corners, taken on their own, are actually quite nice. The obvious example is turns two, three and four over the rise. It was originally pitched as a “reverse Eau Rouge”, going over a hill instead of through a gully, and while it’s not nearly as challenging, I still find it mesmerising to watch the drivers get as close to the outer limits of the circuit as they dare. On more than one occasion, I’ve been convinced that a driver has gone too far and won’t be able to get back on the racing line, only to watch them do exactly that.

Intrigued by this concept, I scoured the internet (or at least YouTube and Wikipedia) looking for examples of good corners at bad circuits. And this is what I found – Ayrton Senna’s qualifying lap from the 1991 United States Grand Prix at Phoenix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0QjCaqBBjc

On paper, it doesn’t look like much; a typical street circuit made up of endless second-gear ninety-degree bends. But skip ahead to 0:49 in that video for two turns that look utterly fantastic – a flat-out right and a flat-out left that feed into the long back sraight. Moreover, the left-hander has a blind apex, and the run-off area goes to the right. For a moment there, it looks as if the circuit goes to the right rather than to the left, and with the walls so close by, it would be a hair-raising experience.

So, what other good corners can be found on otherwise-horrid circuits?

Browny
    Participant

alot obvioulsy depends on what you consider to be good or bad circuits but I’ll name a rose between thornes corners from the last few years.
    Shangai- Turn 13, yeah it makes overtaking difficult but it is fun to drive gunning it onto the straight
    Bahrain- Turn 4, lots of different lines into the corner make some interesting overtaking moves
    Catalunya- Turn 9
    Valencia- Turns 18 to 24, incredibly fast sequence of corners
    Abu Dhabu- Turns 3,4,5
    Imola- Acquie Minerali
    Magny Cours- Turns 7 & 8, amazingly fast chicane, cars looked awesome through here

necrodethmortem
    Participant

@browny How is Imola a bad circuit? I hate the fact that it’s a chicane fest as well, but the original ’53-’72 layout is one of my favorite tracks of all-time.

Mexico – Peraltada
    Valencia – 18-24
    Bahrain – 9-13
    Korea – 17 & 18
    Nurburgring – 10 & 11

vickyy
    Participant

While playing F1 2011, I realized that even turn 15-16-17 is also nice to drive on Yas Marina.
    It gives a mini-feeling of the all famous turn-8 of Istanbul.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Hockenheim. Can’t think of many redeeming features here. Maybe the Mobil 1 Kurve into the stadium.
    Hungaroring – the fast uphill left-hander, turn 4
    Singapore – a great spectacle but not a great circuit, apart from the last couple of corners where the cars get impossibly close to the outside wall, then sweep into the finish straight.

Maybe Shanghai is not so bad after all – look how many times it features in Favourite race ever?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

While playing F1 2011, I realized that even turn 15-16-17 is also nice to drive on Yas Marina.
    It gives a mini-feeling of the all famous turn-8 of Istanbul.

Yes, I do like that one, too. Especially the way each apex is tighter than the last.

a great spectacle but not a great circuit, apart from the last couple of corners where the cars get impossibly close to the outside wall, then sweep into the finish straight.

I actually quite like the first sector, especially the long right-hander onto the back straight.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Turn 3 at Catalunya has always been nice, as well as the old second-to-last corner before they screwed it up.
    The double-corner-hairpin-thingy at Bahrain which catches drivers out all the time is good fun on the games, especially on a low downforce setup!
    Turn 7 at Shanghai is good too!
    The flat-out right-handed kink at the toned-down Hockenheim is brilliant on ’06, take too much kurb, and immediately spin out.

Looking through, there’s not many modern-day tracks that are actually ‘bad’… I was majorly struggling to find a decent corner at Valencia though for some strange reason ;)

Kingshark
    Participant

Turns 5-7 at Bahrain
    Turns 7-8 at Shanghai.
    Renault and Campsa at Barcelona.
    The entire final sector at Valencia.
    The first corner in Singapore.
    Turns 2-4 at the Abu Dhabi circuit.

James_mc
    Participant

Turn 1/2 at Shanghai. I know some people (I’m looking at you, Coulthard) slate it and point to it’s alleged origins as a Chinese character/symbol, and it’s perhaps not the best first corner in a race; but it is a brilliant, immensely technical corner

raymondu999
    Participant

@James_MC it’s not T1/2 that gets its roots in a Chinese character, it’s the track layout (when viewed from above:

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I know some people (I’m looking at you, Coulthard) slate it and point to it’s alleged origins as a Chinese character/symbol, and it’s perhaps not the best first corner in a race; but it is a brilliant, immensely technical corner

Hermann Tilke denies that the circuit was deisnged to represent the ‘shang’ character, and that any resemblance is coincidental. Rather, he claims he was only given a limited amount of space to work with by the Chinese, and so plotted a course that would be as long as possible and still fit into the space provided. The first corner complex is apparently the only part of the circuit to have survived every draft of its design. I seem to recall seeing a proposal that had the cars going straight ahead at Turn 3 to what is now Turn 8, then following the current circuit to Turn 11, at which point it headed back towards Turn 5 and a hairpin that fed back to what is now Turn 13. Something like this, if I remember rightly.

James_mc
    Participant

I’m glad someone cleared up at least what character it was supposed to look like. My point still stands clearly as it was the only corner(s) to survive :-P

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.