F1

Greatest ever driver pairing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    DC
    Participant

Which is, in your opinion, the greatest ever driver pairing? And by that I mean two drivers that had mutual respect and who were team players while fighting each other for the championship. Like Scheckter – Villeneuve in 79 or Button – Hamilton in recent years.

Nathan
    Participant

This is quite a bit biased, but I really really liked the combination Raikkonen-Massa from 2007 to halfway 2009. With them Ferrari took 2 consecutive constructor titles. Only the combination Alonso-Hamilton could beat them back in 2007.
    (that’s a modern driver pairing, other than that Raikkonen-Montoya were a great pairing, Hakkinen-Coulthard too, and from the eighties Prost-LAuda)

S.J.M
    Participant

Graham Hill / Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at the tail end of the 60s was an excellent team of drivers, they got on and were very popular with the fans.

Kingshark
    Participant

1. Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost
    2. Jim Clark and Graham Hill
    3. Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet
    4. Juan Manuel Fangio and Stirling Moss
    5. Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso

Ed Marques
    Participant

Completely agree with Kingshark.

Mathers
    Participant

For me it simply has to be Senna-Prost in the McLaren, but I also think that the Stewart-Cevert partnership of 1973 was fantastic, and if their times had been shifted more towards each other and Cevert hadn’t lost his life, they may have been outstanding.

DC
    Participant

@Kingshark I think that Mansell – Piquet and Hamilton – Alonso are completely opposite of what I have asked (“two drivers that had mutual respect and who were team players”)

Kingshark
    Participant

@dujedcv
    OK, I didn’t read that part. If so, you can scrap Senna-Prost, Mansell-Piquet, and Hamilton-Alonso off my list. :p

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Hakkinen/Coulthard has to top the list if we’re talking about the modern era.

electrolite
    Participant

Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez, obviously. @Magnificent-Geoffrey will back me up here.

George
    Participant

I would agree with Fangio/Moss, I think Prost and Lauda got on ok as teammates too?

matt90
    Participant

Stewart – Cevert
    Peterson – Andretti

Cristian
    Participant

Apart for what has been said : Peterson-Fittipaldi, Hawthorn-Collins, Brooks-Moss, Brabham-Hulme, Brabham-McLaren, maybe Alesi-Berger, Stewart-Hill, Lauda-Watson, Berger-Mansell

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

1. Kimi Raikkonen & Kimi Raikkonen

Journeyer
    Participant

My top 10 (arranged chronologically):

1. Fangio-Moss (Mercedes)
    2. G. Hill-Clark (Lotus)
    3. Brabham-Hulme (Brabham)
    4. Stewart-Cevert (Tyrrell)
    5. Andretti-Petersen (Lotus)
    6. Scheckter-G. Villeneuve (Ferrari)
    7. Lauda-Prost (McLaren)
    8. Prost-D. Hill (Williams)
    9. Hakkinen-Coulthard (McLaren)
    10. Raikkonen-Massa (Ferrari)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.