F1

Guess the date

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    sbewers
    Participant

I was just adding this season’s F1 dates to my calendar and realised I won’t be getting an F1 race on my birthday again this year.

Anyway, it got me thinking of a quick game to pass a very slow week waiting for Melbourne. I will give an F1-related clue and you have to guess the date (it could be an exact date dd/mm/yyyy, or it could be a recurring date dd/mm).

The winner then takes over and posts their own clue, and so on…

So I’ll start and here is my clue:

A Grand Prix has fallen on this date 3 times since 1990. The first time this happened, the victory went to a new winner. The last twice, a Silverstone-based Formula 1 team scored podium finishes and on both of these occasions the race winner was taking their final victory (to date) for the teams they drove for. But what is the date?

Adam Blocker
    Participant

August 30th, with the race winners being Räikkonen at 2009 Spa for Ferrari and Hill at 1998 Spa for Jordan

sbewers
    Participant

@blockwall2 – That was incredibly quick!

Yep, 30th August is correct.

1992 Belgian GP – the new winner was Michael Schumacher
    1998 Belgian GP – as you said, Damon Hill took his last win for Jordan
    2009 Belgian GP – again you nailed it, Kimi took his last win for Ferrari and Force India were back on the podium

Over to you.

Adam Blocker
    Participant

My hint (I hope I haven’t made it too hard or easy):

On this repetitive date, Formula 1 received a very warm welcome in a new land. And while the land was new for F1, the race winner certainly was not.

JackySteeg
    Participant

Was it 4 April 2004? (04-04-04)

Schumacher winning the inaugural Bahrain GP?

Adam Blocker
    Participant

@jackysteeg It most certainly was, over to you.

I feel like this game would be impossible without the wonders of Wikipedia :) .
    It is an interesting game though.

JackySteeg
    Participant

Yeah, I’ll admit I had to use it to double-check that ;) Although I remembered it first from that Jordan livery — honest!!

Anyway, my clue shall be:

A British driver won his final Grand Prix on this date – the same date on which he won the same Grand Prix at the same venue 6 years earlier, while at the same team. What’s the date?

Ciaran
    Participant

9 March – David Coulthard won the Australian Grand Prix in 1997 for McLaren on this date and won again in 2003 for his final F1 victory.

JackySteeg
    Participant

@walsh-f1 spot on!

Ciaran
    Participant

Brilliant. Now for my clue:
    On this date, Two legends have made incredible comebacks to victory in changeable conditions on a legendary track, but also on this date, legends have had to take a back step as a new talent reigns supreme in an exotic land.

sbewers
    Participant

@walsh-f1 – Very cryptic, but I’m going to take a stab at 27th August.

– Michael Schumacher’s comeback in changeable conditions in the 1995 Belgian GP at Spa.
    – Mika Hakkinen’s comeback in changeable conditions in the 2000 Belgian GP at Spa.
    – And Felipe Massa being the new talent winning the 2006 Turkish GP in an exotic land.

Ciaran
    Participant

@sbewers Correct!

sbewers
    Participant

Ok, let’s go with another!

Two McLaren drivers won the same race exactly 6 years apart, having both started from 7th position. In both races, their McLaren team mate failed to finish having been involved in a controversial incident. Both winners were followed home by the reigning World Champion, with the reigning World Champion’s team mate finishing 3rd. But what is the date?

JackySteeg
    Participant

Is it 12 June? On that date in 2005, Raikkonen won the race for McLaren ahead of Michael Schumacher and Barrichello. Teammate Montoya was disqualified for passing a red light. And in 2011, Button beat Vettel and Webber while Hamilton retired after a strange collision with Button.

sbewers
    Participant

@jackysteeg – Spot on! Your turn.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.