F1

Halo System

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dom
    Participant

I am doing my EPA (extended project qualification) on whether the halo is a actually a benefit. I have my own personal opinion on the device and have asked my mates their thoughts on it but can base fans’ opinions on ours. But when researching about the halo fanatics’ views rarely come up. Therefore, it would be really helpful if people could reply to this and tell me their opinions on the halo system.

glynh
    Participant

I’m against it because I think of F1 as an open wheel, open cockpit sport and would prefer it stayed unique from other motor sports. Also it obscures visibility when you turn your head which can’t be a good thing and only offers minimal protection.

I can see the safety argument but I would concentrate on improving helmets instead.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The think is while helmet improvement can’t be a bad thing can it realistically deal with all situations. I am not an expert but intuitively it seems very unlikely. For example take (what I believe was) the incident that prompted exploration into these developments. Jules Bianchis crash at Suzuka in 2014. Improved helmet design I think would not have made a huge difference. The compression on either side of the helmet and extreme deceleration upon impact I think would yeild pretty similar results, i.e coma/death.

While I obviously cannot say what would have happened were a halo or halo like device to have been installed on the car, I would expect it to be better. Rather than direct impact it would deflect the the tractor over it perhaps and should; if designed well enough to hold structure, be a cage, allowing the driver to be loose in the crash like you see with test dummies. Which is a much safer way of decelerating.

I think unquestionably front on impacts that would normally be hitting drivers in the face would be mad much safer with a halo device. Besides Bianchi perhaps Schumacher abu dhabi 2010 crash is an example.

One slight concern I have with the halo device is that were an accident a’la Grosjean Alonso Spa to happen the nose could actually be pulled down under the halo and cause incredibly severe damage to the driver.

Aesthetically speaking, No halo. With an utmost awareness for the safety of the driver, introduce the halo or aeroscreen. The drivers should be able to get out easily in case of fire of course and at the end of the day racing is always going to be dangerous and I think the drivers need to decide among themselves whether they want it or not, after all they are the ones taking the risk.

Obviously beyond drivers the people who run the sport don’t want this happening in fear of bad press and criticism so there is that as well, but for me it should be up to the drivers, I think the sensible option would be yes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.