F1

Hard tyres in Q1 still a possibility

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mename2332
    Participant

in fact very much a possibility.

Based on the FP2 times, the ‘safe’ time that will get a driver past Q1 should be around 1:25. If the hard tyre is 2 seconds slower than the soft tyre, than both Red Bulls and Mclarens should be able to use the prime tyre without a worry.

This is without the track getting more rubber from FP3 and the support events, and RB still have some fuel they could take out.

S.J.M
    Participant

I think the bottom end of the field will obviously still be on the soft compound, but i wonder if the Force Indias/Williams/Torro Rossos will use the Soft too? If they did that will probably force teams like Mercedes and Sauber (and dare i say Renault/Massa) to use them too. Noone wants to go out in Q1 and this harder ‘2 seconds slower’ tyre might make Q1 in hards harder to use.

Icthyes
    Participant

I agree. I still think we’ll see the hard tyre used and it will be a relief for the smaller teams because Barcelona really exaggerates the differences in performance.

sw6569
    Participant

With Heidfeld looking likely to be out of qualy – depending on whether it is the chassis that has been damaged – I think the likelihood of the top teams using hard tyres has increased hugely

Todfod
    Participant

Red Bull will definitely use the hards for Q1, they should beat the HRT, Virgins and Lotus drivers even if they didn’t have any tyres on the car. The Heidfeld situation then confirms the list of cars making a Q1 exit. Mclaren, Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault will put on softs though..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.