F1

Haze in Singapore

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    himmatsj
    Participant

Currently, the situation around the region (Singapore and Malaysia) is just tolerable. It hasn’t gotten to extremely unhealthy or hazardous levels yet. The last time that happened was two or three years back and a state of emergency was declared in both countries.

Anyways, what’s the position of F1 with regards to haze? What’s the unhealthy threshold? 250 API? 300? Or more?

It kinda sucks really the haze looks to be back in full force this year. Last year I don’t think it was very bad, probably cause both governments put immense pressure on Indonesia after what happened the year before.

So yeah, assuming the haze worsens in time for the weekend, what will happen, and what will be the threshold where they say, “ok, we can’t race in these conditions”.

Hey, Indonesia deserves a mention too (i.e. for all the wrong reasons)!

andae23
    Participant

So the haze started a couple days ago.. you mentioned it’s happened before, does it usually last a couple days, a couple weeks?

Atticus
    Participant

Some background on the issue:

http://news.mongabay.com/2015/08/haze-chokehold-fires-efforts-to-save-indonesias-forests/

(Not really F1-related but globally important, I guess.)

himmatsj
    Participant

@andae, it’s happened every year as far as I can recall. It’s definitely gotten worse over the past 10 years. It is a “seasonal” thing. Hapens around this time of the year. Usually, the worst of it lasts for 2-3 days, but generally it remains hazy for around 2 weeks to a month. [Edit: At the moment, I do not consider the current situation to be the worst…expect it to deteriorate a but more, but not sure when]

It’s all the Indonesians at fault here, and us Malaysians and Singaporeans get caught in the crossfire.

It’s past midnight here, and the government has just ordered schools in 5 states to shut down in the morning till further notice. So yeah, it’s just about getting worse now. Singapore doesn’t have it as bad as KL for now.

I guess it’s a very real concern now, especially visibility since the race is at night. Bernie must be on the phone with the Singapore meteorlogical department urging them to cloud seed to clear the skies a bit.

andae23
    Participant

@himmatsj Thanks for that, that sounds really bad…

It’s all the Indonesians at fault here, and us Malaysians and Singaporeans get caught in the crossfire.

Phew, that part finally got pointed out!

(Anyway a few Indonesian articles on the issue http://lipsus.kompas.com/topikpilihanlist/2571/1/darurat.kabut.asap?utm_source=WP&utm_medium=box&utm_campaign=Ktpwp )

Mathers
    Participant

@davidnotcoulthard The Indonesian role in this issue was noted in the first post in the thread.

Atticus
    Participant

@himmatsj and anybody interested or knowing about it as a local: do you think it’ll be more of an issue due to the El Nino or does the latter not have any impact on it? (In other words, is it more of a problem in El Nino years, or it makes no difference.)

Mathers
    Participant

@davidnotcoulthard What’s the haze like in Indonesia itself? We could always move the race to Sentul next year if there’s an emergency, always thought that looked like a decent track!

@mathers The haze never, ever touches Java (i.e. where I am, where Sentul is, where the capital is, where the VOC was centred, etc). It annoys me that it keeps happening (it happens every year or so) where it hits our neighbours (every time – although if memory serves me it’s usually parts of Malaysia but not Singapore so this year’s pretty bad) rather than our seat of government.

Indonesia is huge so you’re question is a bit like “Oh my, what was the 2006 hurricane like in Seattle?”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.