F1

Heikki Kovalainen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    glue
    Participant

what do you make of him now?..I loved his performance back in 2007, at least from Canada onwards and in 2008 and 2009 I gave him the benefit of the doubt thinking he wasn’t adapting to the unfamiliar tense atmosphere at McLaren (similar to Frentzen at Williams, who after that was brilliant in the Jordan), eventually because the team was leaning their efforts more towards Hamilton..and now, he is seemingly back on the right track and I’d really love it if he could make Lotus a solid name in GP racing once again

kinggp
    Participant

i think this has been his best season yet, he has well out performed the lotus and finally looks happy and enjoying his time in the team. lets hope he gets a competitive car again soon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The only reason, he was ousted from McLaren was because Mercedes wanted no.1 On their car. Mclaren is the original Mercedes works team. They helped fund his signing.

Though when the McLaren-Mercedes deal ends. And Ron builds his own race engine, there won`t be the pressure from Mercedes now they have bought the Brawn team.

It would be good to see Heikki back and maybe try where Kimi failed – to become the next flying finn and replicate Mika Hakkinehen and the glory he brought with the mp4/18

Steph90

I like Heikki a lot. I think he’s a humble guy (in today’s press conference he spoke about his first victory and said ” He [Massa] and Lewis (Hamilton) were both doing a great race and I really deserved to be third that day but they both had problems”) but a hard worker. I think for various reasons it didn’t work out. Maybe he could go to Renault or build Lotus up, either way hopefully he’ll have a promising future.

SoLiDG
    Participant

He is doing a very good job this year! He seems happy and very motivated.

Being at the back is a hard job, but he knows it will take time and is very relaxed.

I hope he keeps it up, and he might be able to take Lotus to the midfield/Top

sbl on tour
    Participant

no doubt about it hk is the man!

sbl on tour

US_Peter
    Participant

I think he plans to stay at Lotus in hopes of becoming competitive much as Webber has with RBR…

TommyB
    Participant

Heikki is a great guy but not a great driver. Best way to describe him is ok. Not bad, not great, just ok.

SoLiDG
    Participant

It’s hard to tell how good he is. He was good in GP2 and WSR(or was it still nissan world series back then). Sure he isn’t up to the vettel/alonso/hamilton standard.

Macca
    Participant

Apart from almost killing Webber I think he’s done a great job this season.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

He’s got a brilliant attitude and he’s a thoroughly likeable guy, but I think even this year his performance isn’t as good as it should be. Trulli’s had a lot of problems this year but Heikki hasn’t been ahead of him that often when he really should be.

Tom L.
    Participant

Dan, why do you think he should be ahead of Jarno?

Dan Thorn
    Participant

Actually, perhaps he shouldn’t be ahead of Jarno – Other than a couple of races in his first season and the odd decent saturday performance for McLaren, Heikki hasn’t shown anything worthy, in my opinion, of a top drive. Jarno at his peak on the other hand put in a number of decent showings and can still pull the odd bit of magic out when everything comes together for him.

I would say Heikki could be the next Nick Heidfeld type driver – but I don’t even think he’s that good.

James_mc
    Participant

The only reason, he was ousted from McLaren was because Mercedes wanted no.1 On their car. Mclaren is the original Mercedes works team. They helped fund his signing.

Though when the McLaren-Mercedes deal ends. And Ron builds his own race engine, there won`t be the pressure from Mercedes now they have bought the Brawn team.

So let me get this straight…. Mercedes got rid of Kovalainen to ensure that Button would take the “Number 1” away from the Mercedes works team. Riiigghtt….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings,

Re:So let me get this straight…. Mercedes got rid of Kovalainen to ensure that Button would take the “Number 1” away from the Mercedes works team

>>Pretty much. Mercedes wanted the no.1 on their car (before they bought brawn gp) so they had a discussion with RD. Which led to Button funding for the no.1 status.

RD is busy tryin 2 create the British Ferrari, making their own engine and race team (for the chasis). But before McLaren-Mercedes deal ends Mercedes wanted the glory, so it helped fund a move for Button.

Mercedes then needed an F1 vehicle for its brand, so it bought the best-at-the-time, Brawn GP off the shelf without the hassle of having to develop a works team.

It was decided NOT to renew Kovalainen for marketing reasons.

Hamilton is RD`s baby so his seat is safe.

The marketing powers occupied the 2nd seat with Button.

Kovalainen not want to become the new P.DelaRosa and be the 3rd driver – he wanted a race seat, so joined Lotus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.