F1

How about…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    electrolite
    Participant

A 24hr F1 race on the Calender! Now i’m most likely going to be fed many reasons why this could never happened. And why i’m being very stupid. It may have been discussed before so forgive me but let’s try and think outside the box.

If each team uses the two drivers and third driver to do their own stints, say two each. Only hard tyres allowed, or possibly a super-hard compound to last even longer, made exclusively for the race. Fuelling is free and open for the teams to decide how to use it.

The classification will be of teams rather than drivers. Get me? I’ll say once more forgive me for a moment of slight madness, it just seems an interesting proposition.

Katy
    Participant

As it happens I was talking to my boyfriend about this whilst watching the Le Mans, would be cool to have a long race but I honestly don’t think the cars could hold up, the cars barely hold up for a couple of hours haha.

Ratboy
    Keymaster

I agree with Katy lol most drivers crash after 2 hours let alone 24, although I guess they’d make them more reliable since they knew the cars would have to last longer

Ned Flanders
    Participant

To be honest there is 0% that there will ever be a 24 hour F1 race, in the short, medium and long term. But I’m going to suspend reality for a moment and pretend it could happen. It would be great! Imagine watching the Monaco GP with car headlights shining through the dawn mist as the sun comes up over the harbour. Or a lone car ploughing through the darkness of the Kemmel straight at Twilight. It would be amazing!

But- back to reality- it ain’t gonna happen.

Ratboy
    Keymaster

I suppose there could be a Caparo 24hr race thats probably goin to be as close as we could get to a F1 24hr event, but there very un-reliable and no F1 drivers would be in it :p

Mouse_Nightshirt
    Participant

F1 cars wouldn’t last that long. Hypothetically an awesome idea, practically, never going to happen.

TommyB
    Participant

Red Bull would win, they’d be the only ones to stay awake…. Actually their cars have problems before the race even starts, never mind 24 hours of a race :P

Katy
    Participant

I was just thinking that in F1 we get some great races anyway now with the night/dusk racing, and then I said out loud that a morning race might be cool and I liked the idea so now I’m typing it. It’d have to be somewhere like Bahrain when you know it’s gonna be sunny and not cloudy. Not sure how it’d work exactly with teams having to get up really early to do stuff and practice before quali…actually the more I type the more stupid it gets…BUT hypothetically it would be cool for there to be a sunrise during a race :)

Scribe
    Participant

A sunrise race would be awesome! Especially if it started under floodlights in the dark an ended with the sun properly illumiaiting the track. Much better than a dusk race, I can imagine the cars zooming down the 2km straight in Abu Dhabi under a red desert morning sky.

Steph90

I agree. I’d love a sunrise race. It would be beautiful.

For the 24hr F1 race though the cars definitely wouldn’t last. Monaco would be a nightmare esp. The other thing is there are 3 drivers for each car at Le Mans and each team only has two and there’d be no way just two drivers could do it I don’t think. They could use reserve drivers I guess but with lack of testing if there are any new boys it wouldn’t be ideal. Then there’s the issue of championship points. If say Red Bull won then both Mark and Seb would get 25 points, it would be a Noah’s ark and perhaps not reflective of each individual’s performance. It could be a non-championship race I guess. I’ve thought about this way, way too much. I really do wish it could happen though.

electrolite
    Participant

Yeah I’ll be honest. I really don’t think the cars would hold up – but hey, they have more than one car don’t they? I’m glad some people have used their imagination anyway, I didn’t get the flaming I thought I would ;)

The winning team would obviously be the team who finishes the most laps in the given time rather than whho crosses the line first. And how about the team gets 30-40 points rather than the full 50? And the gap between each points earned would be similiar or worked out the same as the normal races are now.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Obviously no cars would last 24 hours, but it would be interesting to see how long some of them would last. Suspending reality again I want to see a last driver standing race in F1, where the cars are forced to race flat out until they give up the ghost. Maybe the most reliable cars could last for a good 8 hours or so

Enigma
    Participant

I think 24 hours would be way too much for the drivers, so I think something like 5 hours would be okay – with 1 hour mandatory rest or something. And enough drink to keep them going.

They should also add one oval race to the f1 calendar.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

ALthough reliability would be an issue I can think of a way around that: Every time a car breaks down, they’re allowed to rejoin the race with the car they were using at the exact same point the year before in it’s exact guise. So if Ferrari’s F10 broke down they would go back through F60, F2008 etc…If you run out of cars then you’re out.

Steph90

“. So if Ferrari’s F10 broke down they would go back through F60, F2008 etc…If you run out of cars then you’re out. “

If I was Ferrari I’d just break the F60 straight away…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.