F1

How does being an F1 fanatic affect your personal budget?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Girts
    Participant

There has been a lot of debate after the announcement of Sky partly taking over the F1 broadcasting rights in the UK from 2012. It is sometimes argued that good quality just doesn’t come for free and that if F1 fans want to watch high quality coverage, they should be ready to pay for it. This is not a bad argument. However, I believe that the thing is a bit more complicated. Many of fans simply cannot afford to pay hundreds of pounds / euros / dollars to watch F1 no matter how much they would want to. Some could find the money but then they would need to refuse from something else, probably going to one F1 race per year or buying F1 merchandise. I don’t believe there are many who have large balances on their bank accounts and complain about the new order just because they are greedy.

So I would like to ask you the following:

1) Do you spend some money on F1 or get along with what is available for free (websites, free-to-air TV coverage)?

2) What kind of F1 related items do you usually buy and how often? Race tickets, magazines, books, model cars, teamwear, DVDs,…?

3) Do you save money by refusing from something just to be able to spend it on F1 related stuff? I mean, do you buy less clothes, avoid eating out or do whatever else just because so there is more left for F1?

4) Approximately how big part of your “entertainment budget” is spent on F1? One tenth, one third, one half?

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Great thread Girts!

I live in the UK.

1) At the moment all I pay is my TV License Fee for the broadcast through the BBC.

~£12.00/month I am already a Sky Sports subscriber which costs me in the region of ~£75.00/month (this also covers my TV XL package with Virgin Media (perhaps you can knock £20.00 off for that as I don’t need it for F1) and £20.00 of that includes my net connection I use mainly for this website!) All the above costs are split 3 ways.

2) I don’t buy F1 related stuff for myself so much, people tend to do it around Christmas/Birthday time for me. I did buy myself an RBR flag and Ferrari hat last year from Silverstone which cost me ~£50 in total.

3) The biggest cost to me to enjoy F1 is currently what I pay to watch it. Considering I get more out of my TV and Internet package than just F1 it’s almost impossible to quantify how much it costs me and it also just gets paid like any other bills you have in a household. Basically I don’t set any money aside for F1, my cost to watch it is already accounted for before I come to my disposable income.

4) For 18/19 races this season, the cost to enjoy them is covered by the cost of my bills which is detailed in the above point. I’m going to Monza this year. ~£80 for the ticket, ~£135 for a hostel, ~£140 travel, ~£400 spending money. I went to Silverstone last year which probably cost me slightly less than Monza is doing this year (I camped) but value for money wise I found it incredibly good and as a result I know it will be this year too.

To summarise. To enjoy F1 in my current capacity is more than manageable for me and I could afford to spend more if I wanted to or needed to. At the moment I don’t need to.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

Love this thread!

1) I just pay the TV licence to watch F1 and use the internet to follow the news – I don’t (yet) have Sky or anything like that.

2) I spend quite a bit on F1 related stuff. At the Goodwood Festival of Speed last month I spent nearly £400 on models, T-shirts, hats and books. I usually buy a model every month or so, and will occasionally buy a DVD, book, T-shirt, hat or something else F1 related.

3)I don’t really sacrifice much financially to spend more on F1, but I do sacrifice a social life sometimes to ensure I see the best of it. A couple of years ago, one of my best friends organised a big night out as a farewell before he went trekking across South and Central America for 3 months. I went to his house for a few drinks, but then as everyone went off into town I stayed there and went to bed. Why? Because the next morning was the Malaysian Grand Prix, and I didn’t want to watch it with a hangover or, god forbid, turn off my alarm and miss it! Luckily my friends know how much of a fanatic I am and accommodate me…

4) In a general month, I’d say roughly 50-60% of my ‘leisure budget’ is spent on F1, on the things I mentioned in point 2. Some months though, such as if I’m going to the Festival of Speed or to meet up with F1 Fanatics to watch a race, I will spend all of my leisure budget on F1 (and also sacrifice leisure money from the surrounding months) so that I can fully enjoy the experience.

KaIIe
    Participant

1) 22€/month, though that’s not strictly just for F1 (my pay-tv subscription includes Eurosport and other channels as well).

2) I used to subscribe to F1 Racing in late 90s and early 00s, but these days… maybe something small and random a few times a year (a keychain, a cheap book etc.).

3) Not really. I’m on a pretty tight budget anyway.

4) About 2/3. I pretty much stopped buying DVDs after HD came along (and I don’t have a BR player), I buy music once or twice a year and so on. My main source of entertainment is teh inttarwebs, which costs a whopping 10e/month.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I can relate to your 3rd point Dan.

Last year I was at a party and drank too much Southern Comfort. As a result I reluctantly skipped qualifying in Melbourne. I was very annoyed with myself and now I make sure that I have an easy night if F1 follows early morning.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Dan/ Andrew- I hate watching F1 on a hangover too! But sometimes it’s the lesser of two evils, and it’s better just to get out and have fun.

Anyway, being an F1 really doesn’t cost me much at all. I mean, it requires a TV, an aerial, a TV license, an internet connection etc, but I’d have all these things even if F1 didn’t exist. But, there are a few F1 things I’ve spent money over the years:

– Tens of F1 magazines over the past decade (though I haven’t bought one for over a year now)

– 7 F1 games for the PS1/2/3. This probably cost about £200, though it’s spread over 15 years

– Every season review video/ DVD since 1998

– Loads of F1 books… 11 annuals, some biographies, and others

– Three F1 T-shirts which I bought back in June (though they only cost £25 between them)

So, I’ve probably spent hundreds of pounds on F1 related stuff in my life, but this is spread over several years, so the effect on my coffers is quite negligible

It’s a pretty significant source of both expenditure and income for me!

mantolwen
    Participant

1) Do you spend some money on F1 or get along with what is available for free (websites, free-to-air TV coverage)?

I pay the TV license, but apart from that I use free websites. I did join Autosport Plus during pre-season testing because they had a special offer and I wanted to read the live updates. But that’a about it.

2) What kind of F1 related items do you usually buy and how often? Race tickets, magazines, books, model cars, teamwear, DVDs,…?

I sometimes buy Autosport, and if I buy it then it has to be a special issue eg: amazing race, season summary. I also bought a mug from Unlap.

3) Do you save money by refusing from something just to be able to spend it on F1 related stuff? I mean, do you buy less clothes, avoid eating out or do whatever else just because so there is more left for F1?

Nope. Barely have enough money for normal life so can’t really spend extra on F1. Although I am going to spend the money I earn from my part-time job on BTCC tickets.

4) Approximately how big part of your “entertainment budget” is spent on F1? One tenth, one third, one half?

I don’t have an entertainment budget as such. So none. I try to avoid spending money and get things for free by entering competitions. So far I have won a picture of Jerome d’Ambrosio, tickets to Silverstone (but I couldn’t go) and a signed photo of my favourite GP2/3 driver.

Alex White
    Participant

Well, as there is 5 Job going Adults in the house, we all chip in for phone bills / rent / tv stuff, so £30 a year from me for TV.. We will not get sky.

End of season DVD, ALWAYS! and the F1 Yearbook. (99 – 10, all collected) And sometimes the occasional t-shirt, model. but not bought one in ages.

I did put money aside for F12010 game. .. £30 (I don’t buy games at 40, unless its called Gran Turismo)

Not much.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m probably a very bad F1 fan when it comes to spending money on the sport…

1) Currently £145.50 per year for my TV licence. Next year that will be £0

2) I have a few F1 books. I never buy the DVD’s, and as for merchandice, I have a Jenson Button T-shirt from 2004, and some licenced Scalextric cars. And the F12010 game, but the vast majority of these were gifts. I’ve been to 2 British Grand Prix. the first in 2004 cost me £100, the second, last year, was a gift.

3) Nope, never

4) Minimal amounts.

wasiF1
    Participant

I spend mostly on computers.But this year I bought an IPS which TV so that I can watch F1 dispite power cut.

Girts
    Participant

It’s really interesting to read your stories! I thought a bit and tried to find answers to the questions myself:

1) For quite a long time, I did spend only tiny amounts of money on F1 but that has changed in the last couple of years. I still don’t pay anything for the TV coverage and I would need an internet connection anyway (even if I wasn’t interested in F1) so that doesn’t count. But I have been a subscriber of Autosport Plus since the beginning of 2010.

2) In addition to paying for Autosport Plus, I buy F1 magazines occasionally (that is, whenever I am in Germany), books, season review DVDs (2006-2011) and team flags. The biggest expense so far has been Nurburgring 2009 race tickets and other costs related to this trip.

3) So far, I don’t think I have sacrificed anything financially. That said, I am going to the Belgian GP in three weeks and it looks like after that weekend my account balance will be such that I will be forced to reduce some of my usual expenses in September… And, just like Dan Thorn, I also once didn’t take part in a party just to be able to watch F1 on the next day!

4) Normally it’s maybe a bit less than one half of my “leisure budget” but when I’m going to a race, the figure might be equal to my total monthly income.

James Brickles
    Participant

For me right now, it’s a bit easier being an F1Fanatic than most others as I still live with the family, parents and two brothers so spending has never really been a factor. But it’s all going to change over the next few months.

I’ve posted it in one of the articles before, (the one with the announcement), but I’ll say it here since it’s relevant. About a year and a half ago, my family had to get rid of Sky because we couldn’t afford it anymore. The cancellation was down a certain circumstance and the effect is still being felt now. If the announcement had been made 2 years ago, then it wouldn’t have been that bad for me, but it’s happened now, at a really bad time financially for us. And I took the news pretty badly… I cried… twice…

Nevertheless, a lot can change in the next 7 months.

The last F1 related thing I bought was a Mark Webber T-Shirt at Silverstone 2010. I also have a few playstation F1 games (F1 97 is awesome), a few books, two video documentaries on Damon Hill and Eddie Irvine, a Kimi Raikkonen hat, a Ferrari shirt, a black T-Shirt simply with ‘West’ on it, a Hot Wheels MP4/17D Raikkonen model and a couple of Scalextric F1 cars.

Also, I’ve got a sizeable collection of F1 reviews dating back to 1989, looking forward to 2011 this Christmas ;)

Well I tend to avoid spending money whenever possible, time for me to get a job. :P

We’ll find out next year. It’s definitely certain I won’t be getting Sky again, but for the races that aren’t shown live on the BBC…

a) I’ll just watch extended highlights on BBC and desperately try not to find out the result, it’ll be just like watching F3 on Motors TV again.

b) My girlfriend has Sky, I could watch the live races there.

c) My brother may be moving out soon and he says he might be getting Sky.

d) Might be illegal but this is how much I love F1… My dad has a satellite that can get quite a lot of global channels. Find one with live F1 and dub Radio 5 live over it.

or hidden option e) The BBC actually listens to F1 fans and take back full control ;)

Jev
    Participant

I subscribed to 2 PayTVs, yes 2, one satellite for my hometheater, the other a cable connection came together bundled with my internet connection in the bedroom.

Race tickets for me and the missus, 2 times a year. Been subscribing to F1 Racing UK for sometimes, printed edition in the past but now I get the digital edition to read on my iPad much cheaper. Books, of course – technicals, season reviews, biographies, etc. Teamwear: McLaren, Redbull, MGP, usually I buy at the circuit during GP weekends. Lastly season review DVDs each and every year since 2005, hopefully there’ll be Blurays starting 2011.

Yes, cutting other expenses so I can go to GPs weekend and getting the best seats…

One-third.

Casanova
    Participant

Apart from a TV license, I don’t spend any money on F1. I won’t be paying for Sky.

I don’t buy merchandise, and I no longer subscribe to F1Racing magazine (too expensive, and with the pace of F1 news these days, it’s out of date by the time it lands on the doormat).

I’ve never been to a race. I’d love to, and I live conveniently close to Silverstone, but for me it’s prohibitively expensive. I was considering planning a holiday in Turkey to attend the Turkish GP next year (given that it’s a great track, and the tickets are some of the cheapest on the calendar). But now it looks like the GP will be cancelled; perhaps I’ll go to the Hungaroring instead.

No.

Nil.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.