F1

How does this video show Webber had tuned down his engine?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Just listen to it! Listen to both engines and try to guess which one has the better top-end!!
    If you mean because of the actual fight…. it looks wild but they never did fight over 200 kmp/h Webber went full defensive at pit exit and SV was on him like flies on poo. SV was on the softer compound tyre, his were warm… Webber just came out with the hard tyres and weren´t to actual working temp. and if you par attention… SV in some corner exits spins his wheels a lot! Webber upshifts and puts what little power he had to the ground better! Maybe that´ll explain it better to you.

In the end… just listen to both engines… Webber´s engine sounds balless on top end whilst SV´s engine sounds like a pisse off hornet´s nest!
    And to further explain… when Webber puts SV to the wall… there was a significant difference when SV had KERS and DRS…. Webber probably had KERS after crossing the line and it might explain a little but the way SV caught up to him with DRS and KERS was just shocking!

matt90
    Participant

This video doesn’t show anything really. Ultimately, I can’t hear much difference between the engines, not least because you don’t really see a clip of the two drivers at the same section of track back to back. If anybody thinks they can hear a difference, it will probably be partly due to the different camera mounting positions (I assume the audio recorders are mounted in the same housing). The speed differential between the cars in the DRS zone appeared typical of all cars using DRS.

fangio85
    Participant

I agree, anyone still saying webbers car was turned down is starting to look a bit desperate. The fact remains that it took vettel quite a while to pass, and webber would have to be brain dead to not flick the dial back up, assuming his engine was turned down to begin with.

Force Maikel
    Participant

@fangio85 So you are saying Webber lied on the podium? Webbers engine was turned down, thats why the identical RB (for the time being) is all over him! Webber just used serious defending because suddenly the teammate that was “holding station” (mulit21) is attacking him like crazy with a car on full revs. Considering that he still managed to hold out long.

I have to say leaving the incident aside, that was an awesome fight

fangio85
    Participant

It was an awesome fight for sure. The thing that is getting to me is everyone believing mark couldn’t simply turn the engine back up, its not hard, and after watching numerous videos of their battle it doesn’t look at all to me like marks car is in any way handicapped, other than the fact he was on cold primes. I am not doubting they had an agreement before the race, but watching the videos it looks like their engine is performing exactly the same. Mark even gets out of some corners much better than seb, which, if his car was on its leanest map, and sebs on its richest, would never happen.

fangio85
    Participant

Oh and Btw, race drivers lie all the time, especially in the political world of formula one. The fact that webber has disobeyed team orders in the past tells me he’s in no position to carry on about this. I think the bigger issue for him is its likely his last year in f1, you could tell by how emotional he was after Melbourne, he would be well aware that was likely his last chance to win his home gp, and I think he would be upset that his team mate consistenty outclassed him in Malaysia, where webber no doubt would have felt quite strong, he certainly looked very good in the race, but seb is younger and sharper so I don’t thinks its a big deal, its just webber would probably like to get some wins in his last season, no doubt this season will be very emotional for him.

The video shows a tremendous power difference, especially on the 2 time they pass on the straight, Vettel gained over a second on that straight, I’m not saying that he wouldn’t been capable of passing by Mark but Seb took advantage of more power.

matt90
    Participant

“Vettel gained over a second on that straight”
    He didn’t- he was using DRS, so was within 1 second to start with for one thing.

fangio85
    Participant

I’ll agree there was a small performance difference, but there would be three explanations for that.
    1: seb was on warm options, mark was on cold primes.
    2: seb had drs on the straights
    3: seb is a better driver, which is not debatable.
    He was also using the kers very aggressively, but mark could have been too so I won’t include that as a reason why he was marginally faster, as I honestly think the three reasons listed above explain that pretty well. Just my opinion based on my observation of the race and all the replays I’ve seen since.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone still saying Webber’s car was turned down is starting to look a bit desperate.

No, not yet. If Webber’s engine wasn’t turned down in the fight, then there is still the chance that it was before the fight – before the pitstop.

fangio85
    Participant

Yea my point was he would have turned it up when he knew the fight was on, at which point he had plenty of chances to defend. He did a really good job too, but the best man on the day won, that’s pretty obvious, to me anyway

Force Maikel
    Participant

@fangio85 Well in the earlier part of the race we could already see mark had better traction out of the corners. I think that was more or less down to a set-up thing.

Perhaps you are right, maybe his engine isn’t on the slowest map but unless Red Bull releases the telemetry we won’t really know.

Funkyf1
    Participant

I believe Multi 21 is a reference to hold position.

mnmracer
    Participant

Mark Webber: “I was told to turn down the engine after the last pit stop”
    Mark Webber did not lose any time before the fight.

Christian Horner: “Mark Webber was not on ‘reduced engine power’.”
    http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12475/8603859/Christian-Horner-There-was-no-conspiracy-and-Mark-Webber-will-stay-for-rest-of-2013

/thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.