F1

How good is Chilton compared to other new guys?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Aish Heydrich
    Participant

We have been speaking extensively about Bianchi, who is amazing, Perez- hot headed Montoya style guy but he has a good future, Gutierrez and Hashtag Bottas are all doing decent jobs too, but what about Chilton? He is finishing most of his races, it’s difficult to live up to Bianchi’s racecraft but surely he has shown pay driver or not, he knows what he is doing behind his wheel. I would like to take this opportunity and say, for a new guy, he has done well, exceeds expectations when drivers like Grosjean is turning it upside down everywhere.

So even Chilton>Grosjean. Well, possibly.

Slr
    Participant

Chilton has been living in Bianchi’s shadow so far this season. The most notable thing he’s done so far is put Maldonado into the barriers at the Tabac corner last weekend. I would say he’s generally been average, if not below average.

Gutierrez and Hashtag Bottas are all doing decent jobs too

Sorry but Gutierrez has been poor, he was solid in Spain but that is the only time he’s looked half decent. In every other race he has done nothing do prove his critics wrong.

DaveF1
    Participant

Chilton showed just how good he was when he stuffed Maldonado into the wall on Sunday. The only reason he has exceeded expectations because his expectations were extremely low.

Let’s be honest he sounds like a nice guy but when drivers like Glock or the better GP2 graduates like Valsecchi don’t get a seat it is worrying. I’m not saying Chilton is a terrible driver, but like Gutierrez I think it’s too much too soon. He clearly is struggling and it isn’t really his fault. If he’d had a season doing the odd practise session like Bianchi and Bottas then I think he’d be better off but because of the ban on testing the rookies seem to be struggling a lot.

As for comparing him to Grosjean. Sure Grosjean is pretty good at crashing but atleast on his good days he can get near Raikkonen. Chilton probably couldn’t get near Raikkonen even in his dreams.

SeaHorse
    Participant

As for comparing him to Grosjean. Sure Grosjean is pretty good at crashing but atleast on his good days he can get near Raikkonen. Chilton probably couldn’t get near Raikkonen even in his dreams.

Oh come on. I agree Grosjean is a better driver than Chilton at present. But Grosjean is an experienced driver and Chilton is a rookie. I mean he is hardly into half a season and his performances are not bad for a pay driver.

mnmracer
    Participant

Granted, it’s not ideal to start your career next to a really good driver, but I’m still not impressed. As far as I’m concerned, the rookies rank:

Bianchi/Bottas
    |
    |
    van der Garde
    |
    |
    Guiterrez/Chilton

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

The Monaco crash was the kind of incident where, if it were Maldonado hitting Chilton and not the other way around, that 80% of the fanbase would be screaming at the FIA to take away Pastor’s super license.

Aside from that, he’s finished every race so far this year and isn’t sitting dead last in the Drivers Championship on countback. That surely has to count for something even if he’s 0-6 and 1-5 against his teammate in qualifying and race results respectively, but he’s not the worst F1 driver ever as people like Taki Inoue have claimed.

Todfod
    Participant

I think Chilton is the poorest of the rookies this year…. but not by all that much. If it wasn’t for VDG’s form in quali at Monaco he would be in the same boat as Chilton right now. I think Chilton also has a tougher teammate than VDG and that is making him look a little worse than he actually is.

Also dont think Chilton has a bright future in the sport, but he might be lucky enough to stick around for another year.

If I had to rate the rookies based on their performances so far, it would be ->

1) Bianchi
    2) Bottas
    3) Guttierez
    4) VDG
    5) Chilton

mnmracer
    Participant

Giedo van der Garde said before the season, give me 6 races.
    Race 5: outqualifies his team-mate by 4 tenths.
    Race 6: makes Q2 with some luck but also amazing speed in the rain.

Sure, we’re gonna have to see how he develops, but he deserves much more credit than he gets.

RagingInferno
    Participant

@seahorse Chilton’s teammate is also a rookie, and he is still being vastly outperformed.

As for my ratings…
    1) Bianchi
    2) Bottas
    3) Van Der Garde
    4) Chilton
    5) Gutierrez

Meander
    Participant

I agree with @raginginferno but at the same time am hugely disappointed in Bottas. Of course the Williams has turned out to be a cucumber, but we haven’t seems flashes of *anything* from him yet, especially not the ability to outperform the car which is an ability of a future champion, which is what many said of him before the start of this season.

SeaHorse
    Participant

@raginginferno I agree with your rating of Bianchi and Bottas; but the other three I think I need some more time to arrive at a conclusion.

Chilton’s teammate is also a rookie, and he is still being vastly outperformed.

Not to discredit Bianchi, (I am a fan of him you know) but he has also had more mileage in F1 cars than Chilton has. But what I intend to highlight on Chilton is that he has not done really that bad for a pay driver.

RagingInferno
    Participant

@meander I wouldn’t write him off yet, he has outperformed Maldonado, a race winner, at times this year. It’ll be more interesting to see what he can do with a good car.

@seahorse That’s a fair point, and I’d like to clarify that I don’t think that Chilton has been especially bad; it’s just that he hasn’t done anything yet to justify to the team that he deserves his seat.

SeaHorse
    Participant

@raginginferno Though he hasn’t done much yet, for a team with small budget such as Marussia it would not count against him to bring home the car safely in the race and occasionally beating one of the Caterhams coupled with the money that he brings in to the team especially when the driver in the other car is a safe bet to beat the Caterhams, would it?

Deej92
    Participant

In all fairness, Chilton hasn’t done the worst job in the world. He isn’t last in the championship and has finished all races so far. He and Gutierrez have probably been the least inspiring rookies so far this year though. Glock and Bianchi would have been a more exciting line-up I feel.

HK
    Participant

A couple of races ago, i said Caterham should fire VdG cause he was useless, and he really was. But at Monaco, he impressed me. He seems to have found a good rithm and delivering. Bottas is in a tough position cause he can’t show his talent in the Williams currently. Same for Maldonado, last year he was brilliant in qualifying from time to time, but now not even the good races he impresses, the car is simply not good enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.