F1

Idea for an article, what do you think?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mouse_Nightshirt
    Participant

I’ve been toying with the idea of maybe doing an article from my medical view of drivers’ physiology and what physical changes drivers go through in a race. I know we’ve occasionally seen excellent pieces by Brundle on the Beeb/ITV in the past, and thought it would be a good area to go deeper into.

Would you guys be interested in a piece like that?

JPQuesado
    Participant

I would really like to know the physical changes that drivers go through during the races.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@mouse_nightshirt Absolutely 100% yes. That would be super super interesting to read!

Mouse_Nightshirt
    Participant

Great, I’ll start working on one then as long as Keith thinks it’s reasonable.

Is there anything in particular you would like me to try and cover?

F1Yankee
    Participant

i’ve always wondered about their eyesight, eye performance and how they don’t blink for extended periods of stimulation.

verstappen
    Participant

If possible, can you include a comparison with other athletes, like football/soccer or running a marathon?

f1alex
    Participant

@mouse_nightshirt Yeah, sounds like a great idea!

raymondu999
    Participant

@Mouse_Nightshirt Love the idea. However, how exactly are you going to get the necessary insight of what actually happens to them physically?

Mouse_Nightshirt
    Participant

@F1Yankee – I’ve not managed to find much specific information on eyes other than one solitary paper, and I’m not sure about the evidence behind the blink rate, but I’ll delve further.

@verstappen – That should be straightforward enough – I’ll give it a go.

@raymondu999 – I’m a doctor so have a pretty decent understanding of human physiology. Response to sport is exercise induced and isn’t too dissimilar to stress responses.

In any case, it’ll take me a while to write, reading up a lot of papers at the moment on the topic! Thanks for your feedback :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

A million times yes!

raymondu999
    Participant

@Mouse_Nightshirt Oh no I don’t doubt your credentials. But how are you going to get the paddock insight as to what happens to the drivers physically in the car?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I read an interesting article in another F1 magazine and it shows the heart rate of Mark Webber throughout a race and it was alarming how high it gets! Would it be possible for you to compair the heart rates to other sports such as Football or if possible another motor race?

Mouse_Nightshirt
    Participant

@raymondu999 It’s a fair question! There are quite a few academic papers out there, free to access and some through my NHS access as well. Professor Sid Watkins did a paper specifically on the topic (free access if you search Google) back in 2006 on physiology in formula 1 drivers and a bit on LeMans. As papers go, it’s s quite readable by the lay person. The problem I have is trying to somehow make these sorts of papers readable to the average fan.

dam00r
    Participant
    ob1kenobi.23
    Participant

Is it possible to gauge the effect of G forces, if any, on internal organs over time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.