F1

Is the BBC lining up a replacement for Legard or Jake?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9036020.stm

This video is very unusual because Ted Kravitz never really bothers with video blogs, that is usually reserved for Murray and Ocasionally Jake. I believe this is a screen test as a replacement for jake next year, something they also have coming up at japan for lee mckenzie. I believe the BBC want to move jake to their higher rated (viewing figures) Football and Athletics coverage on a more permanent basis, Its either that or they are doing the same ITV did back in 2001 by moving their Pit lane reporter to the role of main commentater.

Hairs
    Participant

I think the F1 crew will be loath to see Jake go – and while he may have schoolboy looks I think he’s quite professionally “clear headed” if you like, so I think he’s winding himself up for Olympics anchor in 2012. F1 coverage is live and allows him to show his versatility, composure, communications and interpretation skills, and his ability to work with a complex team. Sitting on the sofa for MOTD, by comparison, is a bit of a dead end. So I think he’ll stay for next year, and if he gets the Olympics job in 2012 he’ll take a 50/50 approach to the year – leave a couple of months off in the middle of the F1 season for it and come back for the finale.

Lee is underused by the BBC and I think she’ll do a great job presenting from Japan – like Jake she’s calm, reads situations well, has charm and is clear and precise about what she’s doing.

Ted is on record saying he loves the particular job he has – he’s a nerd at heart and likes digging around with the engineers and the “nuts and bolts” of how the sport runs, rather than the front end talking. Having seen what’s happened with the two main commentators previously, I think he’d be wary of taking the job.

As for Legard – well. Nice bloke, but I’ll be very pleased to see him go. Who replaces him may well, as the press reported recently, come down to who Martin wants to work with. The BBC need to make that a large part of who they choose, I think, as I don’t see Martin wanting to spend another season battling JL for space to talk. Crofty is the obvious choice, but we don’t know what Martin thinks of him.

RIISE

Well I think it will be a given that Legard will go, too many complaints have been posted plus he is much worst than James Allen.

I don’t think Kravitz will be a presenter, he does such a good job through the race why would the BBC do that. As for Jake personally I would like to see him go, he’s far too up himself now. I have a safe bet he had to do tons of homework on previous seasons before he got into the job, he doesn’t strike me as a person who had any interest in F1 before 2009. As for a replacement i’m not sure where you can look, I guess, I couldn’t see Lee Mckenzie doing it permanent although it would be a nice change.

Macca
    Participant

If I have to watch EJ flirt with Lee Mckenzie all season I will vomit.

If I was BBC boss, he would be gone before Legard.

Scribe
    Participant

I don’t think that Ted doing a video blog has got anything at all to do with the BBC testing him out to do Jakes job, it’s a fairly tenuous bit of logic I’m afraid. More likley this is yet another example of the BBC’s constantly improving coverage. Which is great, besides why would they drop their current team, it’s gelled brilliantly, with the exception of Legard, hence the rumours about him keeping his job.

Mr. T
    Participant

Are they having a fancy dress party in the William’s garage? (4m57s)

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Wow, this place is just full of conspiracy!

I like Jake and want to see him head it up for a long time. He clearly loves the sport and while you can shift him to football..it is a bit of a dead end. Visiting 19 countries next year with the biggest motorsport in the world or being huddled up in some dreary stadium? I know which I’d prefer.

Hairs
    Participant

Would Crofty do a better job than Legard?

If you haven’t had the Red Button, Watch the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikasr6UkqY8

TommyB
    Participant

If Jake left that would be a real shame. He is so passionate about F1 and I’m sure this is his dream job so he wouldn’t leave.

As for Legard I’d be happy to see him go.

Icthyes
    Participant

Passion isn’t always the best thing…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wif3Kr0y5js&NR=1

There’s nowt wrong with that James Allen clip just as there was nowt wrong with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCOin3l8OY#t=1m59s

We need genuine passion from commentators, they have a huge impact on how dramatic an event can become.

RIISE

Ok I remember James Allen doing that as that was massive for Button, I was the same, so pleased that he won. Personally James Allen shouting in utter excitement is much better than Legard forcing it out.

And the vid posted above is great haha. I’m not sure what he’s shouting when she’s coming down the hill but it sounds great.

Scribe
    Participant

RIISE in F1 terms, Hamilton is ahead in the championship and seems liley for a clinching race victory WHEN HE SLIDES OF IN THE PITS ON BALD INTERS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHh.

Anyway, Croft and Allen are both ten times the commentator that Legard is, I feel Allens probably had his crack at the wip so give Crofty a go at the main show, possibly with Brundle. Brundle in my mind is occasionally not passionate enough, possibly Legards fault, I remember Brundles distinctly muted response to Alonso taking Schuey round the outside of 130R, when Legard went a bit crazy, the right response in my veiw. An not much wrong with Allens response to Buttons victory it was pretty incredible, especially for victory starved Brits.

Icthyes
    Participant

I’m not sure how much I’d like Charlie Cox but it’s more likely to be him than Croft. Brundle apparently wants the former and doesn’t get on with the latter.

Scribe
    Participant

Brundle shouldn’t have so much power in the set up, I’d hate it if Charlie Cox got brought in, that would be just so rubbish. Brundles loosing it if you ask me, he’s getting repetative, Croft is currently the best motorsports commentator out there bar none and he’s on the BBC’s books, Charlie Cox is fine in MotoGP, it’s what he knows. Brundle can put up with Croft.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.