F1

Le Mans or F1?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DamionShadows
    Participant

After having gone and seen the 2010 Petit Le Mans here in the US (my first time attending an auto race), I began to wonder which was better; Le Mans or Formula 1?

Now, before I become vilified and condemned for even asking such a question, I love watching F1. I started watching at the beginning of 2008(as well as watching my first Le Mans 24) and was instantly hooked. But to me, LMP cars are more relevant to the auto industry by being true test-beds for technology as well as showing off their products through the GT classes, where as F1 cars are super hi-tech and more specialized. Although, the main draw for me with F1 is how extreme the “man and machine” threshold can be pushed, which is something LMP cars can’t quiet reach. But enough of my ramblings. I would like to hear the opinions of the F1 faithful on the advantages/disadvantages or likes/dislikes of both.

US_Peter
    Participant

I like both, but while Le Mans may be more road relevant, I think F1 is truly the pinnacle of motorsport in more ways than Le Mans. The speed with which teams have to develop the cars to stay competitive for example is truly staggering. It seems that the drivers are more skilled as well. It’s more feasible for drivers to retire from F1 and become successful in Le Mans, but drivers moving from Le Mans to F1 don’t usually have much success. I think the physical demands are much higher in F1 as well. F1 is still the king, and hopefully it always will be.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I’ve never really got into the modern LMP cars but I love the old Group C monsters, though they were hardly road relevant either!

sbl on tour
    Participant

le mans lasts 24 hours, a gp 1.30ish, think you need to go le mans at least once!as its class, mind you monza is hard too beat

manatcna
    Participant

Agreed – You have to go to Le Mans

DamionShadows
    Participant

Oh, I would love nothing more than to go to Le Mans(but it’s hard due to the fact i’m in the US), because even though Petit Le Mans is a small scale version of it, it was incredible to see the cars i’ve watched for the past three years on tv all across the world to be right there in front of me(and to almost be run over by those same cars is just as incredible!) Do F1 teams even let the fans near the cars on race day? At PL the teams are set in temporary garages and anyone can walk in front and watch them get the cars ready and stand mere inches away was they’re rolled out onto the grid. Either way, it was the most incredible 16 hours i’ve ever experienced in my life!

sbl on tour
    Participant

damion, in f1 you only get near the cars if you an A lister or lucky enough to know someone!

went to a drag race in phoenix about 15 years ago,parked the car beside the pit lane during practice!enough said!

also tryed singing the praises of red nigel,your countrymen were having done of it,maybe they changed their minds went he won the indycar championship.

anyway count yourself lucky, you can go and watch nascar, lucky man, daytona, talladega, bristol….I could go on

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.