F1

Lego Technic Grand Prix Racer Models

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Journeyer
    Participant

There’s a new LEGO Technic Grand Prix Racer model named Grand Prix Racer (42000). This is LEGO’s second non-F1-team-specific offering, which I find odd considering they built a lifesized LEGO Ferrari last year.

It has a very good video, covering the build and actual review, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-nColRWj0

The video shows model 8674, which is the latest F1 Ferrari. I actually own the older version of that (8157) and I still proudly display that at home (more than 8 years after I built it). But one complaint I did have with those Ferraris is the lack of an independent suspension (which this newer model has). If I wasn’t paying for other more important things, I’d seriously consider getting this newer car and updating the Ferrari to allow it to have a working suspension.

The motor-ready capability appeals to me as well. It means there is a (somewhat-functional) working DRS on this car!

Anyway, does anyone else here own/collect any of the F1 models? What do you think of them and would you buy this new model?

andae23
    Participant

I usually get way too enthusiastic when reading these things! Had a genuine LOL watching the DRS :D

I remember building a yellow, Jordan one a good ten years ago (8445), no idea what happened to it though. I think I will not buy this one, simply for the price: I much rather build these plastic, more elaborate models (Revell) – it’s cheaper, it’s more accurate and it’s takes A LOT longer to build.

Journeyer
    Participant

@andae23 LEGO isn’t always going to be the most accurate model out there (too bare-bones of a feel), but I’ve always had some sort of emotional connection to it. Probably because I played it a lot when I was a kid.

I checked the Net for 8445 – it’s actually described as an Indy racer. Not sure why. It’s definitely in Jordan yellow, though!

I also checked Revell online – kinda looks like Tamiya, but much more detailed and intricate. Is that right?

andae23
    Participant

@journeyer imo Tamiya and Revell are almost the same, but Tamiya has a lot more F1 models. I quite enjoy working on it, very relaxing.

H?â?ñkkimi
    Participant

I think Tamiya and Fujimi models are a huge step above Revell plastic models. Fujimi and Tamiya has EXCELLENT 1/20th scale F1 models.

A post from someone else who’s built the current model:

http://spectre23.wordpress.com/2013/08/11/lego-f1-car-complete/

A cool Williams FW14 someone’s built:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.