F1

Lewis Hamilton sees fight with Fernando Alonso as new 'Senna v Prost'

This topic contains 54 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  sunnyAK 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Fixy
    Participant

Hamilton isn’t modest in paring himself with Senna.

Asanator
    Participant

I’d say, Hamilton is more like Mansell and Alonso Like Senna!

Journeyer
    Participant

“Hamilton never says he thinks he is Senna”

@dsob, he’s not crazy enough to explicitly say it. But when someone says, “I see him as my Prost, if we were [Alain] Prost and [Ayrton] Senna.” What does the analogy leave you with? It’s implied.

JT19
    Participant

Finally someone in the F1 paddock has mentioned Vettel is not as good as people make him out to be. I still think Vettel is driving a car too good for himself!!

Oh boy, saying this, I am gonna anger a lot of people here ;)

Journeyer
    Participant

They had equal-ish pace in the middle part of last year – Vettel still won races. While I question his racing credentials, he can drive a car VERY fast.

Let’s also remember that Hamilton’s never driven any F1 car other than a McLaren, so he hasn’t really known the feeling of a totally uncompetitive season.

JT19
    Participant

Interesting points there Journeyer, but there is something about Vettel I don’t rate, that is just my opinion. I think Alonso, Hamilton, Kimi (if ever comes back) & Kubica are all better than him.

I always think, if everyone had exactly the same car, who would come out on top? And in what order? But that will never happen unless Bernie creates some kind of Olympics scheme/thing :)

RIISE

I think in terms of ratings based on equal equipment I would say the best drivers on the current grid are.

1) Alonso

2) Hamilton

3) Vettel

4) Rosberg

5) Schumacher (Of course if he was in his 30’s he beats every driver period)

dennis
    Participant

There’s more to an F1 driver than going around a track pretty fast, which Vettel can. Working with your engineers to improve the car. Giving proper feedback. That’s what made Michael Schumacher and Ferrari unbeatable for several years. It’s not like you can put any driver into any car and he will win…

Hamilton is dumbing around at McLaren for years now without any real progress.

He’s like the spoilt brat that got a Porsche from mom and dad as a graduation gift when it comes to F1 seats.

Vettel managed a magnificent victory for Toro Rosso in Monza 2008 in the pouring rain, which was the clostest to being Senna’esque than any driver on the grid (except Michael Schumacher) ever came. Not to mention, that despite his errors he would have been world champion easily sans the technical problems of his “oh-so-fast” Red Bull. Which – talking speed only – is now on top of it’s game a third year in a row.

The best thing Hamilton ever did in the rain was parking the car in the gravel pit at the Fuji pit entrance.

He’s not Senna, he’s not like Senna. He’s not anywhere near Senna, he’s not on the same track as Senna… You get the idea.

David-A
    Participant

The best thing Hamilton ever did in the rain was parking the car in the gravel pit at the Fuji pit entrance.

I support Ferrari, but it’s worth pointing out that Hamilton won in the rain in Fuji, opening up that famous 17 point lead (which he partly lost in the gravel trap at Shanghai).

And he won by over a minute at Silverstone the following year, won at Monaco the same year and won at Spa last year. All in the rain.

Scribe
    Participant

Eh, I have only ever once seen Vettle proove he can do it in a car that’s not quite up to nick, an that time his only opponent was a hopelessly out of his depth Heikki Kovalainen. I’ve seen him throw it away frequently with a crushingly dominant car. He has the best designer on the grid and a performance advantage that suits his fairly limited skill set, if he keeps on making passes like the one that did for Button I might change my mind, subject to the fact that he was on fresh tyres, in a much better car. When he scraps for it then I’ll rate him, till then I’ll continue to see him as a souped up Jarno Truli.

My rankings for the current lot are.

1) Alonso most complete driver on the grid, capable of the occasional brain freeze, bristling with magnificently controlled agression on his day, no one uses their tyres better, see a race unfolding clearer, picks his time better or mixes pure talent with brains in such a supremley masterful way, already gone down as a name to remember, will probably continue to build on that reputation.

2) Hamilton, we saw he had the raw potential to be better than Alonso when he drew with him in a rookie season when he was still very raw. His driving, with the usual second year syndrome (Title!) has improved and matured infinitley since then. Prooved he could do it in a poor car, prooved be could remain in contention till the final race in a car at least half a second of the pace in all but three races. Gets the most out of his equipment of any driver on the grid, occasionaly gets less in quali. Tends to be better in race conditions. Won’t ever have Alonso’s grasp of racing but may well outstrip him on natures gifts alone, an I’m by no means saying his mindless, although he can be infuriatingly silly both on and off the race track on his day. Like Alo, potential to be an all timer.

3) Kubica. I reckon, mostly by what we saw in 2008. He had no right staying in contention that long, the car hadn’t been developed since the middle of the season and he stayed in till Japan or China I think, absolutley outrageous how talented this man is. Might well be the best driver on the grid. 2010 was in some ways less spectacular, but it proved what we saw in 08. He’s the comming superstar, an if he gets the car to proove it I don’t know how Hamilton and Alonso compare but it’s close, fairly sure he’d take Vettle to the cleaners, an then some.

4) Vettle. Very talented in a very boring way. Drives a dominant car quicker then Mark Webber (But not when the car was tricky to drive we later found out). Can controll a race in a car that can be put in cruise from about the 10th lap. Still frequently found a way to mess that up. Growing maturity may be a sign of things to come, an his transition from occasional prang magnet to an even more boring racer. Till he has to fight someone of comparable talent in comparable machinery, or really fight for a victory, or cruise up behind a good car an take the position, or win a race he hasn’t lead from the first corner, or actually realy scrap for something successfully, I make it 70% car, 30% Vettle. An you may think I’m just saying this but, considering him as neutrally as possible, I’d say he’s one of the most under analysed drivers on the grid.

Button

Rosberg

Webber

Massa

etc etc.

I can understand the way people rate vettel so highly and sometimes so lowly, it’s all because of his age IMO. Maybe it’s a logical viewpoint to see a 23 year old not as “complete” as a 26 to 29 year old world champion driver, with the amount of years under eithers belt you would believe the older to be more complete on the racetrack, it’s understandable and I agree.

I’m a vettel fan first then a Nico fan :p but I wouldn’t want vettel going into Ferrari with Alonso now, not without a few more years under him. Alonso’s had 5 more years of F1 than vettel, seb hasn’t even done 5 full seasons yet in F1…

I don’t think it’s fair to place vettel in any top 3, top 5 let alone the top 10 since he hasn’t even hit 25 yet. Yer he is already high up there with the experts viewpoint, but I feel it’s not fair to place him in a poll being so young compared to the other drivers, let alone the other world champions on the grid.

Scribe
    Participant

I agree with a lot of that , still the “experts” are often “lazy spouters” or “former sombodies” or “idiots” etc.

David-A
    Participant

@ RIISE

1) Alonso

2) Hamilton

3) Vettel

That’s how I’d have it, too.

JT19
    Participant

Scribe, Scribe, Scribe!!!! You have the exact same mind as me!! Everything you said is completely the same thoughts as me!! Only one problem, you’re a gooner and am a scouse red.

“Souped up Jarno Trulli” – classic!!

@scribe

lol you should categorize the “idiots” and “lazy spouters” with their names etc…

One of them might see it then :p

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.