F1

Lewis – number 2 driver?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

Here’s a thought. If Lewis finishes behind Sebastian in Singapore, he is knocked out of the title running. If Seb wins Jenson finishing 2nd would keep him in the hunt. Do you think Lewis will be told to be the supporting act to Jenson?

Ell
    Participant

Unfortunately, it seems so.

David-A
    Participant

No, since Button and Hamilton are fighting for 2nd.

raymondu999
    Participant

But then Jenson might go to the team, “hey guys. There’s still a far shot at me becoming 2011 champ. Lewis can’t. Isn’t that more important than getting 2nd?”

Enigma
    Participant

If Vettel wins from Button in Singapore, the point difference would be 124, with 125 still available. They won’t be thinking about championship with such odds.

Enigma
    Participant

I do expect Alonso to have a great race in Singapore and postpone the inevitable to Suzuka.

raymondu999
    Participant

Yes true. I don’t expect Nando off the podium in Singapore. Having said that we saw how effective torpedoes can be today. First with Liuzzi then with Webber

TommyB
    Participant

His dumb strategy today makes me feel like he already is. But no, it was just McLaren being stupid.

I don’t think they need to bother as they are fighting for 2nd place in the drivers title and not 1st in the WDC or WCC.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There’s no point in Lewis supporting Jenson so I don’t see that happening. But things can change. I think it’s about time Vettel had a DNF. But even then the other drivers would need like three consecutive DNFs from Vettel for the title challenge to be somewhat open again. So, no, there’s no point in Lewis playing a support role to Jenson right now.

electrolite
    Participant

I haven’t seen a bias towards either driver since Jenson joined if I’m being honest. Obviously it’s more balanced than when Heikki was there as in 2008 it’s fair to say they wanted to focus on one driver (especially after the 2007 controversy). They’re one of the few teams where driver X will out perform the other for three races, then it will switch and driver Y will outperform driver X for the next few. Not to mention very different drivers.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Unfortunately, it seems so.

If Button is still in the title fight and Hamilton is not, why shouldn’t Hamilton support him, even if it is just for one race? If their positions were reversed, most people would expect Button to support Hamilton – so why doesn’t Button deserve the same treatment when he has earned it by out-scoring Hamilton?

MOMENTUM85
    Participant

Because unlike Redbull or Ferrari,Mclaren doesn’t give out team order.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

But that’s not answering my question at all. If Hamilton’s and Button’s positions were reversed, with Button on the verge of being out of the running and Hamilton in with a faint chance, then Hamilton’s fans would expect Button to support him since Button would know his championship camapign is over. But, at the moment, Jenson Button is in front and Hamilton is on the verge of falling out of contention. And yet, those same fans who would expect Button to support Hamilton are making a case for Hamilton not supporting Button.

It’s just another example of fans applying double standards to Hamilton.

raymondu999
    Participant

I guess the thing is that Button is only some 10 points off being knocked out as well. If the gap increases by 8 points in Singapore (from him to Vettel) he’s knocked out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, it’s not that important what fans think about all this now is it?

That’s decided by the team and in the end between the drivers. But both Jenson and Lewis are the kind of guys that would help one another if one of them was to be out of the title fight and the other in need of help from their teammate. So I just don’t see why the fans have to make such a big issue out of this. It’s not like they’re the ones who will decide anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.