F1

McLaren V Red Bull development

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    LHJBFTW
    Participant

I have a feeling McLaren are going to be developing their car a lot quicker than red bull this season. The reason for this is that the red bull has had the same basic concept for the last 3 seasons (defiantly not a criticism because it is a brilliant concept), because they have been optimising their car for over 2 years now finding significant new speed is going to be very difficult, KERS and DRS are going to be the main areas of development because the aero is already so optimised. McLaren are now starting with a completely new concept. Over the next year their going to be able to make bigger performance gains than red bull just because their car is further away from its potential.

As a McLaren fan this may just be wishful thinking but I don’t see anything wrong with this analysis.

VettelS

Red Bull proved in 2009 that they’re capable of making big improvements over the course of the season.

LHJBFTW
    Participant

That’s my point. Its easer to make big gains with a new concept than a refined one. The 2011 red bull is a refined and evolved 2009 red bull. The McLaren is new.

infy
    Participant

I think the Mclaren was closer to Red Bull at the end of last season, than they are at the start of this season. So its fair to say that RB might have better developing pace or spend their time developing in the correct way instead of developing things that dont work once used.

butterdori
    Participant

Perhaps. But I don’t expect Newey to just sit and take it.

Also, I think it will depend on whether McLaren’s concept is sound in principle and how much development potential it has.

Calum
    Participant

If they get the original exhaust to work then they will make up lots of time. I hope!

choltz
    Participant

RedBull has Newey, McLaren has no one, and all they proved is that they are quick at copying Neweys design. Seriously, a team that had all winter to develop a car, failed, and then copied someone else, not sure why you are comparing McLaren to RedBull, RedBull are leaders, McLaren are tuggers.

Calum
    Participant

Redbull have more than Newey!!!

Granted, he is at the top of his field, and any team would take him in a flash – it’s well known Ferrari want him for £million, but he is not the be all and end all of F1 development, many other key people are designing that Redbull – guys like Peter Prodomou, and Rob Marshall – both these guys are critical to the development of the championship winning RedBull but receive almost no credit.

So yeah, Newey is certainly top quality, I’m just saying it’s not only him designing the car – there are a whole team of guys – Newey is overseer. :)

Mclaren should come good by the end of the year – not good enough by their book – but next year should see improvement and continuation due to the eradication of the Team A one year and Team B the next design rotation.

choltz
    Participant

I didn`t mean to marginalize anyone else at Redbull, I just feel with the March, Williams, and McLarens that he has developed, he should get first billing ;)

The Edge
    Participant

I see what the guys saying about the red bull, there has to be a maximum amount of performance you can get from a car and the closer you are to it the harder it is to find

in theory mclaren are further away so it should be easier for them to catch up

Mclarens main game will surely come from the EBD, if it really was designed in 10 days as claimed there should be plenty of room for development

Calum
    Participant

I know, I know – I just think it’s a bit unfair on all the others though taht Newey gets the plaudits. :P

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.