F1

Mercedes AMG F1 W04 Launch Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Williams
    Participant

Mercedes launch their new F1 car next Monday & have just tweeted this sneak peak at the car

From the looks of it, the nose has retained the shape it had on the F1 W03

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

How can you possibly tell? :P I can just about make out the rear wing xD

andae23
    Participant

By the looks of it, they have gone with a new livery: black with hints of blue on the engine cover and two vague white stripes. And as far as I can tell, their only sponsor is Petronas and is featured only on the rear wing and the left side pod. ;)

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

By the looks of it, they have gone with a new livery: black with hints of blue on the engine cover.

Or it could just be manipulation of light and shadow.

andae23
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Hmmmmmm, no, no, definitely not. :P

Bendanarama
    Participant

The step in the nose doesn’t look quite as drastic as last years. It looks a wee bit closer to Lotus’ design, IMO.

It doesn’t bode well for the introduction of ‘modesty panels’ though, does it?

Ryan Williams
    Participant

@bendana Well, they aren’t mandatory, and like Lotus said, why would you add extra weight purely to hide part of the nose design?

GeeMac
    Participant

Well that’s a complely useless teaser isn’t it! :p

One thing that did interest me, judging from the angle of the “Petronas” logo on the sidepod it looks like they will be really tiny and heavily sculpted compared to the W03… though it is obviously impossible to be sure until it is launched!

Mercedes W03, 2012

Roald
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys I’m surprised you didn’t write an essay taking all your sources into consideration to explain to us exactly how and why @andae23 was wrong

Bendanarama
    Participant

@Roald That wasn’t really called for, was it?

Getting back on topic, I suspect that Red bull might have a modesty panel – I’m pretty sure Newey will find some way to work it to an aero advantage – but I’m increasingly unsure anyone else will. ultimately, I’m not sure they’re going to go with it purely for aesthetics.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

Hidden their exhaust exit rather well. That’ll be the big talking point from these 2013 designs in my opinion as teams try to claim back their EBDs from 2011

Master firelee
    Participant

@bendana I remember reading some time ago that Williams have a modesty panel, or at least don’t have a step anyway, witch might explain why they aren’t getting there car out in the first test, Mclaren and Marussia are probably the only other teams not to have a step since they didn’t have one last year, but you could be right with Red Bull but I’d put money on someone trying to get it banned if they dominate.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

That’s FANTASTIC! No-one will see that coming…

Bendanarama
    Participant

Especially since it seems to be travelling at WARP SPEED.

Hamilfan
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys yep ! Photoshop can make shrek look like angelina :P @Bendanarama you are right . Newey and his strange holes
    ( no pun intended ) ! As it is , the prospect of red bull dominance frightens me . Imagine what will it do to their rivals. Last year , I prayed for someone other than vettel or redbull to win , and I was even happy for most of the season . But , they are one great team ” GELLING ” together with a wizard of a designer and a festidious driver .YOU GOT TO ACCEPT THAT AND MOVE ON . I hope Merc can really turn things around this year . No marks for guessing why I pray for a better merc this year , its there in my userId :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.