F1

Mercedes-Benz rotary valve in 2014 engines?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    joac21
    Participant

Does someone know if the mercedes benz rotary valve is allowed ? they where going to introduce it and FIA banned it some years ago..

raymondu999
    Participant

You mean the F1 engines? I’m no engine expert but I’m quite sure you need a conventional engine, and not rotaries.

joac21
    Participant

No. what is rotary is the valve. cant remember exactly where i read about them but the valve itself doesnt go up and down like conventional ones.. this valves have the shape of a drill and they sit above the head so the flow goes thru the “drill” when it rotates allowing it to go into the chamber and then when they keep rotating they allow the flow to go out…. (i hope this is clear enough haha)…Mercedes Benz was about to introduce them in F1 and the FIA banned them thru the ferrari “veto” of the rules…

raymondu999
    Participant

Yes, I’m well aware of what is referred to by a rotary engine. They’re used even in some road cars.

joac21
    Participant
    raymondu999
    Participant

Yeah, here’s the whole cycle for those who aren’t familiar:

joac21
    Participant

Raymond: Rotary engine and rotary valve are two completely different things,.. rotary engines ARE not allowed. my question was about rotary valves..

raymondu999
    Participant

Ack. Ok didn’t realise that.

F1abw
    Participant

I was at a guest lecture from Mercedes AMG HPP this week at university, there was some talk about their new 2014 engine, but all that mentioned about the valves was that they are pneumatic rather than spring actuated to be able to been up with extremely high engine revolutions (though this has been the case for many years now). Apparently the major issue with the new turbo engines was packaging all the extra cooling required for the larger KERS packs and the extra cooling for the turbo.

@HoHum
    Participant

The design specs for the 2013/14 engine are very tight, I am pretty sure the spec calls for 4 poppet valves per cylinder. The engines themselves will look identical to the naked eye, only the intake/exhaust ducting and as mentioned above the cooling system may have obvious differences, don’t expect anything radical or even interesting.

Spinmastermic
    Participant

In theory rotary valves could get an engine to 25k rpm. The new engines probably won’t even hit 15k rpm so even if they were allowed I doubt they’d be developed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.