F1

Opinions on Bottas

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KhanistanF1
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get your guys opinion on Bottas?
    I know quite a few people who think he is overrated. I have a very different opinion as I think he is a good driver who is very hard to pass (vettel in bahrain comes to mind). Anyway what you guys and girls think?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I agree, and I think most of the conflicting opinions on Bottas come from the fluctuating form of Massa, after his accident. He lost form after Germany 2010, but has come back into it at Williams.

What’s impressive about Bottas is just how quickly he has gotten up to speed, in a time where testing is limited. Unless you are the next Red Bull junior (and thus have 2-3 years), the best you can do is quickly shine, as Grosjean, Hulkenberg and Bottas now have done.

I can see why Bottas is likely Mercedes’ preference, if something were to happen to Hamilton or Rosberg. This is indicated by their lack of desire to really back Wehrlein for a Manor seat, in order to get the necessary racing experience.

Atticus
    Participant

I also agree. Bottas seems to be at least a very very good driver, way above average – perhaps not Vettel, Hamilton or Alonso material, but we don’t quite know that yet.

His biggest strength is, without question, his defensive driving ability. It was not only Bahrain where he showcased it brilliantly.

Also, his consistency is remarkable as well – in a stark contrast with, as @fastiesty said, Massa.

After Massa’s form permanently dipped following Bianchi’s death, he even became consistently quicker than the Brazilian finally, so that’s also great.

One thing that striked me as a big negative though was how much he seemed to be affected by the Ferrari rumours. Just as those extinguished, he became a lot better. (Although that basically coincided with Massa’s spectacular dip in form and his ‘ragged’ first half of the season partly overlapped with his lingering back problems as well so it’s hard to differentiate things here.)

Overall, he’s still a real future champion candidate for me – I hope his back issue hasn’t made him permanently slower, not one bit.

GeeMac
    Participant

He is the real deal for me, a massive talent. He’s quick, level headed and he seems to be dedicated and personable. In the right equipment he will win races and championships.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Obviously its tricky to tell in the Williams. While he’s clearly very good, I’m not sure that he is in the top echelon of drivers. He seemed to lose a touch of the fearlessness that he had in 2014 this year, and it will be interesting to see whether he exhibits that in 2016. I thought he could have been more cut-throat while in P2 at Silverstone. There are limited signs that he can crack under pressure, for example the thrilling near-miss for pole in Russia 2014. That said, the team and the car have let him down too which shouldn’t go un-noticed. This season he’s regularly picked off 4th, 5th and 6th places, which is roughly where the car is. Above anything the guy is very, very consistent. His mild manner and cool head does come off really well on camera and he’s a likable guy with it.

He’s clearly a very good driver, super consistent and a great professional in and out of the car. However, I would say he needs to prove he has the cutting edge in critical moments to be considered in the top category of drivers. I don’t think he is particularly over or underrated.

Dust
    Participant

At the moment, I think, he is good middle-pack driver, but not top-driver. At his third season he would have to beat Massa everywhere but we haven’t seen it. Yes, he can drive well, but Hulk, Perez, sometimes Grosjean also can. He extremely needs in teammate’s change, otherwise it will be bad for him. I don’t think, that now he is a driver of level of Ham, Vet, Alo, But, Rai or even Ric. Bottas, Grosjean, Kvyat, Perez almost equal now on my eye, Hulk and Max little bit behind them.

Nobody will know overrated he or not until he stays with Massa, that’s my word. I would like to compare him with Perez in one team.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.