F1

Petrov vs Hulkenberg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Chippie
    Participant

Simple title – simple premise.

With all of the talk increasingly based around the fight for the WDC, I thought I’d point us back down the grid to the midfield, hoping that I’m not repeating a thread (apologies if I have, I checked back several weeks).

Petrov – 19 points

Hulkenberg – 18 points

Here we have two rookie drivers in established (and previously championship winning) teams, who are both really struggling, and aren’t being helped by much more experienced team-mates who are regularly outscoring them consistently. With both of there seats looking increasingly under threat next season, I’m finding this an increasingly fascinating rookie face-off, not least because these guys were crossing swords in GP2 last season (Hulkenberg eventually won that one, but it was very close). With Hulkenberg scoring a point in Korea, Petrov’s lead is now a single point going into the last two races.

So, over to you, who do you think is going to score more points this season? Petrov? Hulkenberg? Or do you think they will draw?

My vote goes to Petrov, better car, and he has the one point lead.

Enigma
    Participant

I think Hülkenberg is genuenly slightly faster a driver, but they’re both talented. They’re both rookies and they need another season in my opinion.

Victor.
    Participant

How is winning the championship by 25 points marginal, considering that it amounts to 33% of the runner-up’s total points?

Answer – Hulkenberg. Petrov crashes more often than not and has more or less the same amount of points as the German, despite having a much better car.

Chippie
    Participant

Sorry Victor, what I meant by ‘it was very close’, was that over the course of the season, the two were very closely matched, and that until Belgium the championship was still very much in the balance.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hulkenberg is better for me because Renault have a better car but Petrov is leading Hulkenberg by one point despite Kubica being much further ahead than Barrichello (team mates).

George
    Participant

I think Hulkenberg will come out on top, the Williams has been pretty strong for the last few races while the Renault seems to be tailing off.

David-A
    Participant

Hulkenberg by far, since he’s matched Petrov what IMO is a much inferior car. Both have largely been beaten by their teammates, but Hulkenberg isn’t embarrassing himself against Barrichello.

Petrov vs Piquet Jr would be a more interesting debate.

EDIT: changed “Yamamoto” to “Piquet Jr.”

Enigma
    Participant

@George you didn’t watch Suzuka?

sbl on tour
    Participant

hulkenberg

George
    Participant

@Enigma: Both Williams qualified well ahead of Petrov in Suzuka, and Barrichello was stuck in the midfield pack.

The fact that Hulkenberg got sideswiped out of the race by Petrov hardly counts against him in this competition either.

Icthyes
    Participant

Who is better, the pay driver in the 5th best car or the unsponsored GP2 champion in a worse one who has only one point less than him?

Enigma
    Participant

@George But the Renault was much faster than Williams in Suzuka. Kubica managed to be 2nd before retiring, whilst Barrichello managed to finish in 7th. Kubica is extremely fast a driver but you can’t deny that Renault was better than Williams in Japan.

kinggp
    Participant

petrov just isnt good enough. Hulkenberg deserves another season possibly at williams or renault? but petrov has to go. Hulk has been closer to rubens than petrov has to kubica all year.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Hulk has been closer to rubens than petrov has to kubica all year.

But that assumes that both a) Kubica and Barrichello and b) the Williams and the Renault are identical.

Hare
    Participant

But that assumes that both a) Kubica and Barrichello and b) the Williams and the Renault are identical.

@PM Sorry, but what? Hulk’s been closer to his team mate than Petrov has been to his. You have no other way of measuring stable mates.

Methinks you’re being pedantic for the joy of it, as no one in the entire world would ever suggest Kubica and Barrichello are ‘identical’!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.