F1

Renault want a title contender

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    VettelS

…so that counts Senna, Liuzzi and Grosjean out then… But seriously, they’re obviously confident that they’ve got a decent car. And although I think Hulkenberg is a good driver and should still be at Williams, I don’t think he’s a “title contender”- not yet anyway. Similarly, Heidfeld is a good driver, but a World Champion in-wating, I think not.

I know it’s been said before, but this is the perfect opportunity for Raikkonen. If he has any intention of coming back to F1, surely it’s better to do it now rather than wait another few years.

Citroen’s boss says that there’s nothing stopping Raikkonen leaving the sport whenever he wants. So please Kimi, just do it. It’ll be great for Formula One- yet another World Champion on the grid- and even if he’s in a half-decent car, he’ll still win races this season.

W-K
    Participant

Renault announcement

“Lotus Renault GP has revised its driver line-up for this week’s test session in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.

Vitaly will drive the R31 on Thursday and Friday, as originally scheduled. For Saturday and Sunday, the team will give mileage to Bruno Senna and will also evaluate Nick Heidfeld, who is a potential replacement for Robert Kubica as a race driver. The exact running order for the weekend will be confirmed on Friday evening.”

http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/spip.php?article3997

Neusalz
    Participant

I think he has a shot at the title. Mark Webber was a title contender and I rate him lower than Heidfeld by a little bit. He is the closest thing to Kubica on the market and they can probably get him with a good deal.

VettelS

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS RENAULT? Heidfeld is, at best, a very average driver; and as for Senna, frankly I don’t know why he’s here. Hulkenberg may not have as much experience, but he’s got more potential than both of them put together. If Raikkonen won’t come back, surely Hulkenberg is the obvious choice. The only reason he’s not at Williams any more if because he couldn’t pay as much as Maldonado.

RIISE

I still think Kimi is the best choice. He is free to leave Rally since he doesn’t have a contract as such with Citroen. I think it will do his career good to come back into what could be a very competitive Renault.

VettelS

Agree totally with RIISE. And even if the Renault isn’t as competitive as McLaren/RBR/Ferrari/Mercedes, Raikkonen can turn an average car into a race-winning one. I don’t think there’s anyone who wouldn’t want to see Raikkonen back in an F1 car. Alas, I don’t think it will happen. I think the only time Raikkonen would consider coming back to F1 is when Webber retires and he can join RBR.

David-A
    Participant

Heidfeld is, at best, a very average driver

Why? Is it because he beat Raikkonen in 2001? Because he beat Massa in 2002? Or because he beat Kubica in 2007?

I’m not saying he should be a world champion, but come on, he was definitely above average.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Citroen’s boss says that there’s nothing stopping Raikkonen leaving the sport whenever he wants. So please Kimi, just do it. It’ll be great for Formula One- yet another World Champion on the grid- and even if he’s in a half-decent car, he’ll still win races this season.

Except Raikkonen hates testing. So who is going to develop the car if he doesn’t want to do it?

Besides, Raikkonen has been out of the sport for a year. He’s not so talented that he’ll simply start winning again if he comes back. He has no experience with fuel-heavy cars.

George
    Participant

To be honest I think people are overestimating the speed of the Renault, the times from the last test mean nada.

If they want a driver consistantly scoring points then Heidfeld is easily the right choice.

VettelS

Why? Is it because he beat Raikkonen in 2001? Because he beat Massa in 2002? Or because he beat Kubica in 2007?

I’m not saying he should be a world champion, but come on, he was definitely above average.

Drivers like Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel and Raikkonen are above average. Senna and Liuzzi are below average. Heidfeld is better than those two, but he’s still only average. And actually, in those three examples you gave, I’d only consider him beating Raikkonen noteworthy- and it was only once anyway.

To be honest I think people are overestimating the speed of the Renault, the times from the last test mean nada.

If they want a driver consistantly scoring points then Heidfeld is easily the right choice.

I’d be very surprised if the Renault car is truly up to the pace of McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari, but that doesn’t mean it can’t win a race or two with the right driver. Heidfeld would deliver consistent points I agree, but who would turn down Kimi over Nick?

AndrewTanner
    Participant

As much as I love him, Heidfeld is a safter bet than Raikkonen.

VettelS

As much as I love him, Heidfeld is a safter bet than Raikkonen.

Safer, as in more realistic?

Neusalz
    Participant

The thing is that Heidfeld still needs to get a 1st place finish and that can help him mentally. Raikkonen on the other hand isnt so ambitious, his criteria are to get a championship winning car and thats no good for Renault. They need someone that can develop a car as well, not someone who just wants to be given a car and not put much effort into it if its not up to the job. His price is also something to consider and his ability to drive on Pirelli’s is questionable.

Sure Heidfeld isnt the best driver but given the right car he can do the job. Just look at Button and Webber. They arent spectacular drivers but they can get the job done.

davey
    Participant

I hope Senna wins the shootout. Heidfield is a has-been, Senna deserves a chance in a decent car. If he’s faster in the shootout, he deserves the seat.

TommyB
    Participant

Renault won’t be in title contention but we’ve seen that almost anyone can be in title contention with a great car.

No one would have predicted Massa, Button and Webber challenging for the titles in 08/09/10 a few years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.