F1

Respect between F1 drivers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    collyt
    Participant

Seeing the whole Massa vs Hamilton debacle, got me thinking of drivers who don’t have/have very little respect for each other and how drivers react with each other on the track.

It seems to me that it’s quite obvious that Massa and Hamilton don’t have much at all for each other where as on the other hand you have drivers like Alonso and Webber (Spa and Signapore coem to mind) who appear to have a lot of respect for each other. Another example I believe was Sutil and Hamilton who are supposed good friends and gave each other a lot of room at Singapore

So I suppose my questions are….

is being friends with another driver a good thing – does it affect respect (Alonso, Webber are friends have a lot respect – on the other hand Jenson and

Lewis don’t spend time with each other and also have a lot of repsect)?

Are there any other examples in F1 history of a lack of respect between drivers boiling over onto the track and causing collisions and arguments?

Do you think Massa has lost a lot of respect with other drivers (Massa getting involved in collisions whilst being over taken from Webber and Hamilton)?

In what ways can respect be detremental or positive to drivers?

What are your thoughts and opinions F1 Fanatics?

Discuss!

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s funny because when those two fought the title together in 08 I always thought they seemed to get along quite well or were at least pleasant to one another. I think Massa does respect Hamilton just that he’s a bit sick of him this year given the incidents they’ve been caught up in.

I tend to think getting on well with other drivers or having a certain amount of respect is generally a good thing. I don’t think respecting other drivers can ever be a good thing. If they’re really close friends then there can be that added pressure if they’re team mates but that’s about the only downside I can think of.

Hawthorn, Collins and Musso had a massive rivalry which made them push a bit harder on track. I think they all died within a year of each other or something too. Pastor and Hamilton don’t seem to have that much respect for each other and they’ve clashed a couple of times. Mansell and Piquet hated each other. Piquet never really showed any driver respect, mind. Alonso was a bit forceful with Hamilton at Spa 07 and then there was the pit incident at Hungary that year but Alonso always said his problem was more with the team.

I think Massa’s lost a lot of credibility since Hockheinem. I think people want him to do well especially since his accident and some sympathise with the position Ferrari put him in and others would probably say he’s not a real racer like with Rubens.

Out of curiosity (and if I made add a question of my own), fanatics, are there any drivers you have little respect for? Who do you respect the most?

Calum
    Participant

JENSON BUTTON: Massive respect to Button, for dominating half of the Brawn season, I never realised he had it in him – and then he went to Mclaren and even though he was world champion I had my doubts about how he’d perform there, but he won two races and settled very quickly at Woking. He’s been a great embassador for the sport and is beating his world champion team mate, judge only by their last race – Button beat and outqualified Hamilton, that earns respect regardless of form.

I think there is a respect between Hamilton and Alonso btw, look at the two of them in photos from post quali Hungary 09 when Alonso got pole, the 2010 Korean ‘five drivers 1 title’ and 2011 Hungary GP ‘Jenson’s 200 race celebration’

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.