F1

Respect for Red Bull and Horner

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, but the title isn’t long enough for me to say what I really think which is how on earth can aynone ever have any respect for Christian Horner and Red Bull again. Look out, rant coming…

What a joke. He and RB bleat on all weekend about it not being fair that RB are going to be disadvantaged due to the unfair rule change (or depending how you look at it, that their unfair advantage was being removed) and then he demonstrates that he has no idea of what the concept of fairness really means. Fair to Webber, closing in and about to overtake the “chosen one”, fair to Vettel’s rivals by gifting Vettel more points that he deserved, and most importantly fair to the fans who were denied some real racing at the end of a great race. Webber ought to sue his bosses for “restraint of trade” – he is supposed to be a “racing” driver after all. If RB can’t trust SV not to crash with his team mate (again), then he shouldn’t be racing. Oh but hang on, he wasn’t ….

JustAnF1Fanatic
    Participant

i agree for the most of what you say, my main thought was how many times ive heard horner say that he will let them race, but this year the first real chance theyve had at racing and they get team orders, screams hypocrite tbh. I always liked redbull, especially when they were the “party team”, but today horner disappointed me …

S.J.M
    Participant

Im not sure what it is that annoys me so much about this. Im not in anyway a RBR fan, i can’t stand them or Vettel. But i have a softspot which is getting ever larger for Webber.

The thing I really got annoyed with is the hypocracy of the “We dont have team orders, RBR drivers will race eachother” speech that Horner declared last year post-Hockenheim. RBR blasted Ferrari (who i also dislike) going so far as to mock them in a Xmas card, which at the time was funny. But jump forward 12months and now RBR have lost a lot of face & respect over this. Team orders are legal now, thats fine (although i still dont like it) but c’mon, this is a motor race, not synchronized driving, its a sad day when 2 people go wheel-to-wheel without the trust of their boss that they wont crash off.

Red Bull came into this sport like a breath of fresh-air, a fun team that was easy to like and had a good feel to it. Now they are the complete opposite and really makes it hard for me (and others?) to begin to like them. And this isnt going to look good on Vettel either, what kind of World Champion needs a team order to ensure he finishes infront of his team mate?

Icthyes
    Participant

SJM hits the nail on the head for me. It’s just the hypocrisy, on top of an attitude which I find generally patronising (remember the “do the maths” comment?).

Red Bull like to act like the fun team but in reality they’re just like all the others. I’ve noticed this last year but today showed it to the world. Brundle brilliantly put Horner on the spot about Red Bull’s image and he couldn’t give him a decent answer.

Sad to see and so avoidable too. In the interviews Horner spoke like it was a certainty the drivers would crash. Yeh, it *could* have happened, but this is racing and at the end of the day the championships are in the bag for them. It just leaves a nasty taste.

JustAnF1Fanatic
    Participant

I forgot about the christmas card SJM, i wonder if ferrari will send them a copy in the post lol

Tom L.
    Participant

Although I agree with the basic point being made here re. the team, I don’t understand the Vettel hate. We mustn’t forget that Webber refused to obey the team orders and thus if Vettel stayed ahead it was entirely through his own skill.

Remember Horner said that Vettel’s KERS had failed? Look on iPlayer to see that in fact it was working as he defended from Webber…

S.J.M
    Participant

Tom L, i m not sure where on this thread theres the Vettel hate (was it on the blog side of the site?) although im not fan of SV anyway, but i dont believe that he wasnt involved in what happened, even if it was only on a minor level. Damon Hill & Eddie Jordan on the BBC Forum talked about Spa ’98 when a clear team order was given to R.Schumacher not to attempt an overtake on Hill for the lead when a 1-2 was certain (and history shows he obeyed). Jordan mentioned that Damon was consulted about the team order before he instructed R.Shumacher, Hill agreed he was too. If they did it 10 years ago, i think it would be safe to assume that RBR did the same with Vettel, and id be suprised if he said anything other then ‘dont let him challenge’.

Todfod
    Participant

Completely agree with what pualt and SJM have said. I was a fan of Red Bull up until the Britsh GP 2010.. where the wing incident made me lose a lot of respect for the team, and for Horner in particular. And after Horner’s actions today I have seriously started disliking the team. If Horner cant walk the walk he should talk the talk. I think Mr.Mateschitz should seriously condsider replacing Horner, as he has single handedly done more damage to Red Bull’s brand image than anyone else I know.

David-A
    Participant

It’s the team who appear to be inept at handling their drivers, and inept at even sticking to the principle they laid out last year post-Hockenheim. Horner keeps mucking up PR-wise.

Vettel, on his own merit has got himself into a position where it is only sensible for the team to favour him, which isn’t exactly uncommon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Really sad what we watched today. A clear team order was given, and a petulant driver refused to obbey.. who does he think he’s driving to? to himself? Why doesn’t he wears a Mark Webber’s overalls then? A Mark Webber sponsored car? Where are his Mark Webber mechanichs, engineers, pit wall guys? Where is his factory? Where does he makes his car?

Really, really sad. And I will be very, very disappointed if the team he betrayed doesn’t give him the boot, after today. Let’s see Mark Webber trying to get a Lotus seat (Team Lotus of Tony Fernandes) or a Virgin seat and being denyed, because, apparently he’s in it just for himself.

Maybe the energy drinks company will be diplomatic and lets him retain his seat until the end of the year. But I’m sure, come the end of the season, it will be “bye bye Mark, this team sport doesn’t want you anymore”.

Oh, and “Fun Team” is a marketing image they’re trying to sell. They sell energy drinks, for God’s sake

Anonymous
    Inactive

And I’m not a “Red Bull fan” or a “Vettel fan”, just a guy who has a soft spot for team sports.

Anonymous
    Inactive

He doesn’t have a 2nd driver contract though, RBR have publicly said (many times) that their drivers will be allowed to race… No wonder he was furious when it turned out he wasn’t.

Bet it would’ve been different if Vettel had been challenging – “Sebastian is faster, Sebastian is faster” anyone?

@HoHum
    Participant

LL Don’t believe the ” I was trying but couldn’t pass Seb” bull, that is just more PR. Mark is in the middle of contract negotiations and can’t afford to disobey team orders. As for “crashing out” more bull, unless by a deliberate move from Vettel, Webber had the advantage of the DRS and could have flown by Vettel, instead he made his point by putting his nose alongside before backing off and following him home whilst making it obvious that he could pass if he was allowed to.

Anonymous
    Inactive

LLJ – “bye bye Mark, this team sport doesn’t want you anymore”.

What? Really sad that there was the prospect of a race? Really sad that Webber was faster than Vettel? Really sad that the driver who was unable to pass a slower McLaren earlier (and bottled his best chance to pass going into Beckets) was under threat and needed to be protected?

So shall we just disband the driver’s championship then? Any individual event which has results engineered in this way is devalued and most importantly loses credibility with the fans. It was just the same as, and just as distasteful as, Schumacher/Barrichelo and Alonso/Massa. It might be legal now but most objective fans hate it.

The F1 driver’s championship is not a team sport. Christian Horner has told us all so many times “because his drivers are allowed to race” – except when it suits him to change his mind.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.