F1

Ricciardo to replace Karthikeyan!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    F1-777
    Participant

Hey guys, I’m from Perth, Australia, and our television news has just said Ricciardo will replace Karthikeyan for the rest of 2011 after being released to do so by Red Bull! Here’s a link, I hope it’s true!
    http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/motor-sport/historic-grand-prix-berth-for-perth-driver/story-e6frg26l-1226085114066

F1-777
    Participant

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/06/30/daniel-ricciardo-to-make-f1-debut-at-silverstone/

This link says there’ll be an announcement later tonight (UK time), so we’ll have to wait.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Nuts to that.

jsw11984
    Participant

Agree with PM, although it would be good news for us Kiwi’s as Brendon Hartley and Mitch Evans would come up to be the prime STR test/reserve drivers for 2012 onwards

F1-777
    Participant

It’s probably not the best move, is it? Is anyone going to take a driver from HRT (next year)? Should he have just waited for a Toro Rosso spot?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Agree with PM, although it would be good news for us Kiwi’s as Brendon Hartley and Mitch Evans would come up to be the prime STR test/reserve drivers for 2012 onwards

My dislike of Ricciardo stems from the fact that people read too much into his Abu Dhabi times, and thus making him overrated.

Should he have just waited for a Toro Rosso spot?

You can’t really afford to wait in Formula 1. When an opening comes up, you take it.

DavidS
    Participant

I’m skeptical at the moment, but it does seem to be an alright move for Helmut Marko, who would want to see how he performs as a race driver, without having to make a decision to axe a Toro Rosso driver.

F1-777
    Participant

Ricciardo is a down to earth nice guy, from his niceness in talking to me when he signed autographs at Barbagallo raceway in Perth last year (which isn’t the best source, I know!). So he knows what he’s doing I guess, and you should at least let him perform before you have a ‘dislike’ of him.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

And then what happens if Ricciardo impresses enough to get promoted to a Toro Rosso seat? Hispania get shafted; the sacrifieced one driver – who brought eight million dollars in sponsorship to the team – for another, only to have that second driver taken away from them. Sure, they could get Karthikeyan back or pick up however Toro Rosso dropped in favour of Ricciardo, but they’re at a critical stage of their 2011 campaign: they’re faster than Virgin more often than not and are setting their sights on Team Fernandes and 10th in the constructros’ championship. Constantly changing their drivers is only going to unsettle the team when they need stability. I can understand them doing it to Toro Rosso to give a budding Red Bull driver an audition, but they have no right to meddle in another team’s affairs to suit their own ends.

Todfod
    Participant

Man thats gotta be hearbreaking for Karthikeyan to be replaced before the Indian GP. And I dont know how much good it would do Ricciardo to drive that garbage bin of a car.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Actually, the report from Speedcafe says that under the terms of the deal, Karthikeyan will make a one-off return for India.

F1-777
    Participant

Yeah, I completely agree with you PM, Hispania would suffer if this is just a trial run for Ricciardo before being promoted to Toro Rosso next year. But then again, HRT wouldn’t accept it unless Red Bull are giving them something, right? Maybe more money? I don’t know, but surely there’s a reason HRT would sign Ricciardo. Perhaps a falling out with Karthikeyan and his backer?

F1-777
    Participant

Oh, well if they’re bringing Karthikeyan back for India, what is going on?!?!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It’s simple: Ricciardo takes Karthikeyan’s seat for the rest of the season. But, as part of the deal, Karthikeyan gets to come back for one last race in India in order to capitalise on the popularity of the sport in India. In the same vein, I would not be surprised if Karun Chandhok drives for Fernandes at Buddh International.

BasCB
    Participant

Well, well. Actually it would make sense to have this deal. The recent support for Buemi from Marko showed they are not ready to drop him, and Alguersuari has just shown that he might be worth keeping on in the past 2 races.

So if RBR wants to give Ricciardo seat time before having him in for 2012, and they want to take a bit more time at deciding which one gets dropped, this is a pretty cheap way of doing so.

I am certain, that Kolles always had a deal with Narain to step down if someone solid with money came up during the year.

PS. Nice to see how you see PM, that now its “grab each chance” , when only a few weeks ago you argued, that Guttierez should not be offered the Sauber quite yet as he is not experienced enough!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.