F1

Rumor: Hamilton gets 5 years, £100 million

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    F1Yankee
    Participant

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/79541.html

Hamilton, who is the final year of his current deal, did not always appear at ease with the team during what was a difficult 2011 season but he has returned to close to his best form in 2012. “Something has definitely changed this year,” he said on Wednesday. “Things are a lot better. Just in life. That’s enabling me to get on with my job without having any baggage. I don’t have any baggage this year.”

100 million pounds would definitely lighten my baggage

or

i’d say 100 million things changed this year

or

weren’t entire teams supposed to run on 40 million?

or

looks like we found someone that can afford to go to austin!

or

“you can have the magic bus for 100 english pounds.”
    “no. too much”

robk23
    Participant

When I read the title of thread I thought it was the latest extreme penalty issued by the stewards.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@robk23 – HAHAHA! I had that same strange thought!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

One hundred million pounds sounds incredible, but it’s probably going to be one hundred million in total, rather than one hundred million every year.

F1Yankee
    Participant

haha well of course it’s not 100m every year

Kingshark
    Participant

₤100,000,000 in total is still incredible. It amazes me how rich these F1 drivers really are.

raymondu999
    Participant

Didn’t Alonso reportedly get 125 for a 5 year deal?

robk23
    Participant

It’s £100m over the term of the contract, so £20m a year. Even then, Alonso still gets more money (I heard he’s on something around £30m a year). Of course Alonso doesn’t live in a tax haven so I doubt he sees a lot of his earnings anyway.

Estesark
    Participant

I heard that although Hamilton’s new deal will still be less than Alonso’s on paper, he will end up earning more through image rights deals and so on. On top of that, he lives in Switzerland, while Alonso has gone back to Spain (though whenever a football player is going to/from Spain, the UK media always make a big deal about how little tax they have to pay there – is that just for footballers, or for other rich people too?).

infernojim
    Participant

I know that this sounds ridiculous to say, but £20m per season for a Hamilton, is about right.

Alonso is definitely on more than that, as was Kimi when he went to Ferrari. I expect Vettel will be in that ball park too.

Since the early 2000s I’d say that it’s been pretty standard for the top 3 or 4 drivers on the grid to be in the £15m – £25m ballpark, and then the next 5 to 10 between £5 and £10m.

Then you get you 4 or 5 pay / sponsor backed drivers, and the guys in the minnow teams that might be on “only” £1-£3m per season.

Its definitely not a game for the poor!

VettelS

Plus, he’ll could almost double that figure with marketing and advertising rights.

raymondu999
    Participant

@infernojim Vettel is actually paid very cheap for a grand prix winner, let alone a double world champion. Vettel is only paid something in the range of 6 to 8 million, with results based bonuses for victories, titles and points.

Gavin J Pearson
    Participant

I think they getting him cheap, Hamilton is the most talented driver on the grid and always gets the best out of the car

Funkyf1
    Participant

Rumours, that’s all. The original rumour was 60m for 3yrs with Hamilton requesting more freedom in his contract to be able to expand his own brands etc… Now it’s been reported that if he wants more freedom he has to commit to a 5yr deal, therefore guaranteeing Mclaren a good driver for 5yrs for there commitment.

I see 2 problems here. Firstly Lewis’s management, yes they may be out to get the best for him and yes he (as a sports personality) has a market to sell to, but he is a car driver, not a clothes horse, dj or watch salesman. Good on him for abstaining the most from his popularity, but this is where he has failed in the past. He needs to keep his eyes on the prize! Then again at 20m a year, most would be happy to drive a HRT.

On that note, the 2nd concern is his career. He is endangered of committing to a team that is under performing on and off track. The failure list for the Mclaren team over the past 12months is quiet long, then again, their ability to develop their car last year showed commitment to improvement. I’d say a risky move in time where the rules are constantly changing, new engines are on there way and teams are struggling to adapt and get a grip on the current rules and regs.

If I were in Lewis’s position, I’d want more freedom in my career as a driver rather than freedom to sell myself. I’d rather be remembered as a great driver who won multiple championships, than the guy who won one, but could of won more. With other seats available at the end of the season, it might be the best time to follow Mark Webber’s method, short deals with freedom to move.

Kingshark
    Participant

@infernojim Vettel is actually paid very cheap for a grand prix winner, let alone a double world champion. Vettel is only paid something in the range of 6 to 8 million, with results based bonuses for victories, titles and points.

Funnily enough, 99% of the world’s population would die for a wage like that. Shows what a huge business the F1 is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.