F1

Senna week on Sky Sports F1

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Euro Brun
    Participant

Obviously not too many people have access to the Sky Sports F1 channel (I’ve got a friend recording programs for me), but they’re having a week of programs dedicated to Senna. There’s a different program at 8pm each night this week (they’re all repeated a number of times too).

I don’t doubt there won’t be a lot of filler that we’ve heard before, but hopefully still interesting non the less.

I’m particularly interested in the “Remembering Roland” program on Wednesday night.
    I’ve not seen any of the programs so far, and they’ve definitely got mixed reviews from what I’ve read so far.

Nick
    Participant

I saw ‘The Last Teammate’ online the other day and wasn’t completely impressed, to be honest.

The general idea and the premise were fine and it wasn’t until David Brabham spoke that I felt conflicted. Because David Brabham gets very little time. Don’t get me wrong, I understand more is to be said about Senna to the general public than Ratzenberger, but it’s as if they just let Damon Hill ‘go off’ to speak and David Brabham barely got to mention more than 2/3rds of Damon’s topics.

Of course this could simply be because Damon had more vivid memories of Ayrton than David had of Roland, but the way the structure of the program was divided and how it ended felt a bit unsatisfactory. Again, it could simply be Damon provided more material than David, who did seem a little overwhelmed at times and said he repressed some of his memories somewhat.

Neel Jani
    Participant

Well I live in India and naturally don’t have such luxuries of having such coverage in India. Hence, I’ve to adopt to illegal ways of catching up, whether it is MotoGP and FR 3.5 on BT or WEC on Motors TV or F1 on Sky.

Senna Week is a good concept by SkySports F1 and they have packed in the programs fairly well.

The Last Team Mate:

Was good in my opinion. It was interesting to know Damon’s side of the story as well as David’s (not a lot unfortunately) and they gave it a better touch by visiting Imola and walking on the track and even discuss Ruben’s accident. The coverage of the whole San Marino ’94 weekend was pretty good. You can almost feel the heaviness around that track and it immersed me into it. For a while, I couldn’t stop thinking about Senna.

Journalist’s Special:

Frankly, for me it was a let down. I’d lots of expectations from that. A few points that I didn’t like,

1. Simon Lazenby as a host was a strict no-no. It was evident that he really hasn’t followed the sport much and seemed to have studied Senna for this show. Also the way he kept on jumping from one Senna story to another without a proper rhythm wasn’t pleasing. It was as if like in the end, the viewer could hardly connect to dots from that one hour show.

2. With some well renowned guests, I was expecting some more interesting stories to come out of the discussion in regards to Senna – Prost or Senna – Balestre and other great and some controversial moments. Instead the show was largely dominated by their opinions on Senna which didn’t really make it that interesting. I almost disconnected myself mentally after about 25 mins. Partly I can blame the host for not setting up a rhythm nor asking interesting questions but it turned disappointing for me.

Now, I am definitely looking forward to Ted’s Notebook tonight and Ron Dennis on Senna as I feel that both these men will have a lot more interesting things to talk about.

Roland’s Special and the F1 Show – Senna Special, I really don’t have much of an expectation as generally The F1 Show is more of decorations and less on content.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

‘Remembering Roland’ was absolutely fantastic. It gave a very insightful view into what Roland was like and it was nice to see he was so open and had such a personality. His ‘down-to-earthness’ – for want of a better word/phrase – was also fantastic to see. Although this probably had a lot to with the fact he was at a backmarker team and he was a rookie, it’s something I find very rare nowadays. The comment about when Roland was at the airport for the Pacific Grand Prix and the airport worker said to him ‘Ah, you Roland Ratzenberger, F1 driver’ and he smiled and gave him a helmet badge made me grin.

He was just so happy to have finally made it to Formula One and I for one am glad he achieved his dream.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

I’d also like to say I admire the way Sky Sports F1 have handled this. Mainly the special intro they’ve done for the Senna features and how they’ve left out the lyrics ‘Take it to the edge where I have died a thousand times’

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.