F1

Singapore “Sling” to be modified for 2013 GP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mclaren
    Participant

There are reports that the turn 10 Singapore “sling” will be modified for this years grand prix into a flowing left hander.

Force Maikel
    Participant

Well they took their time coming to that conclusion………

the_sigman
    Participant

No Singpore Sling… Mickey Mouse chicane :-P

The Singapore Sling is/was one of my favourite corners on the calender. It was so bonkers. And if you got it even wrong, you really paid the price for it.

An actual challenging chicane. Something F1 needs more of, in my view.

Deej92
    Participant

It was certainly bonkers!

raymondu999
    Participant

Singapore Sling WILL be changed. This info comes from a safety marshall who is helping out this year again (they were told in the briefing several months back that Turn 10 will be reconfigured)

Slr
    Participant

The Singapore Sling is/was one of my favourite corners on the calender. It was so bonkers. And if you got it even wrong, you really paid the price for it.

An actual challenging chicane. Something F1 needs more of, in my view.

I agree with this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hidden on the Singapore website I just found this image of the redesign and this description.

The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) and Singapore GP will be reconfiguring Turn 10 (Singapore Sling) ahead of the 2013 FORMULA 1 SINGTEL SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX, so that cars will now negotiate a flowing left-hander before accelerating towards the Anderson Bridge.

Based on simulations conducted by the FIA, the speed of cars approaching the realigned Turn 10 can be expected to increase by up to 40km/h. As an added safety measure, an extra layer of TecPro barriers will line the end of the run-off.

Tomsk
    Participant

Maybe not slow enough to be another overtaking spot, and I hope the exit onto the bridge is wide enough – but it looks promising. Monza, Spa and Abu Dhabi next, please…

James McGrenery
    Participant

This could be promising, the ultra brave could carry a lot of speed through Turns 10 & 11 and then chuck a mental Massa-esque move up the inside after the bridge!

Deej92
    Participant

The track map on the F1 website has been updated to include the new Singapore Sling: http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/singapore_906/circuit_diagram.html

raymondu999
    Participant

A picture speaks a thousand words

Tyler
    Participant

Great photo @raymondu999 I’ve been wondering what the new corner would look like, cheers!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@raymondu999
    I don’t think that is going to be the racing line because that is the just the actual road layout.

For turn 10 there is another piece of barrier which sends the cars a bit to the right before the chicane.

The tack map and the drawing on the singapore website makes it look like they are going to keep using the barrier and then have the corner.

raymondu999
    Participant

@zantkiller When did I ever say that was going to be the layout? I just said a picture speaks a thousand words – a preview of what the corner will look like, based on current track prep.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.